Big Green Egg - advice PLEASE

I was given a MINI BGE as a gift. I cooked on it for a week and ordered the XL. I have since add the MEd to the fold. The fact that you can maintain any temp you want is by far the best feature. No more refilling the water pan. No refilling the firebox. Just load it full of lump and let it go. When you are finished cooking just snff out the fire by closing the vents, and you can reuse the lump left over. I've cooked butts for 24 hours and still had enough lump left in to put a serious sear on some rib-eyes. Shut it down again, and cooked burgers at 400 dome temp.

You can bake in it. Which I love to do. Friday night is usually pizza night and the egg hasn't failed me yet. It's like cooking in a pizza oven.

I've cooked on kettles, offsets, UDS, WSM and gassers. Nothing beats a ceramic cooker IMO. I gave all my other grills/smokers to family members, and they still come to me for Q.

I wonder if picts work the same here as they do on the Egghead forum. Let's see.

3-7-08007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

4-5-08004.jpg

Steak011.jpg

I tried to post photos showing what the EGG does better than a kettle. Although some of these can be done equally well on a Weber. I still like the photos. I know they aren't Tropical Delight quality, but I'm still learning.

Whoa.

$500 wont buy a Large BGE. And if I was going to buy an Egg it would be a Large or none. I've got a Small Egg and it's great for beans and 10 or so thighs. I'm jonesin a Large so bad I can taste it. Not knocking the medium Egg but the large is the more versatile of the flock.

For $500 you could buy two 18" WSM's or one 22" WSM and a few BBQ toys with the change. Just a thought.

If at all possible, come up with a couple hundred more and get a Large BGE with plate setter and all the goodies. You wont regret it.

I think what really tells the story is those who have bought one egg usually end up getting another.

Lifetime warranty, bake, grill, smoke, you name it. About the only thing you can't do on a large egg is a large whole hog.

$500 wont buy a Large BGE. And if I was going to buy an Egg it would be a Large or none. I've got a Small Egg and it's great for beans and 10 or so thighs. I'm jonesin a Large so bad I can taste it. Not knocking the medium Egg but the large is the more versatile of the flock.

For $500 you could buy two 18" WSM's or one 22" WSM and a few BBQ toys with the change. Just a thought.

If at all possible, come up with a couple hundred more and get a Large BGE with plate setter and all the goodies. You wont regret it.

done gotta WSM, I just want to spend this money on me, 6 years perfect attendance. Who much am I lookin' at a LG egg. I have almost $700 saved.

done gotta WSM, I just want to spend this money on me, 6 years perfect attendance. Who much am I lookin' at a LG egg. I have almost $700 saved.

So you've been a good lad and now looking for the reward. I'm with ya.

Yes, I think 700 will get you one. I think they sell for 699 or there abouts. If you can find an Eggfest near you, you can get a demo unit all tricked out for that.

Congrats. Sounds like youve made your decision.

Yes, I think 700 will get you one. I think they sell for 699 or there abouts. If you can find an Eggfest near you, you can get a demo unit all tricked out for that.
Yes, this is very good advise. Some great deals at the Eggfests.

I have a few and use them all the time. Large is the way to go. Lot's of accessories and tons of invaluable advice here. Get the dimensions and make a table while saving the extra coin to get it. That way your set and not in a rush when the Egg gets layed!:biggrin: Plans are on naked Wiz website. I personally think for the average backyard BBq a Large egg and a UDS is the perfect set up.

I have not used one, but am anxious to do so.
A dealer here in my city wants me to use one at my BBQ Classes, so he is bringing me a demo.
Hey, a free egg.
Can't beat that and can't wait.
Just hope all my other smokers don't get jealous and quit working on me!!!

My wife bought me a Large BGE for my birthday last August. I can honestly say I have used it 2-3 times a week. As you can tell by my signature line I have plenty of stuff to pick from, but the egg works in rain, and cold weather. An added bonus is that nothing to rust or paint. Save enough to get your plate setter, join Eggheads forum and in time you will be happy. Good luck shopping.

Hard to add much to this thread. It really is the most versatile cooker you can have at home. I bought one over 10 years ago, and now I not only have 6 or 7 of them, but a new career as well ;-)

BTW, I just went winter camping last week, and I put a brisket on at 10pm and we stabilized the temp at 250 and went to bed. It was 20 below zero that night, and too cold for anyone to get motivated to climb out of the sleeping bag to check how the cook was going. 9 am and the cooker was still chugging along at 210. Never had a weber, but I bet you can't do that on one.

Good luck!!

I bought my egg 3 years ago. LOVE IT! My Weber Genesis gasser has become a storage cabinet for eggcessories, and I never use any of my Webers at home anymore. It is just about the most versatile cooker out there! If I had any complaint, it'd be that it lacks space. But with a little help you can cook a whole lot of food on one!

At comps we use WSM's and a Weber Platinum (to glaze), but that's only because the egg is too damn heavy to move around (IMO, although plenty of folks do compete with them!) Mine is on my back deck, and there it will stay.

Had mine roughly for a year. Haven't used my gasser, offset, gosm or my UDS since. I cook on it almost daily. Put a brisket flat on at 7:30 Monday morning - went to work - at 5:00 pm egg was still at 220 after being unattended all day. Gotta love it.

Can't go wrong with a Grill Dome either. Similar and offered in a few different colors.
Just my $0.02

I bought my egg 3 years ago. LOVE IT! My Weber Genesis gasser has become a storage cabinet for eggcessories

:p Same here. Although only 2 years for me. My gas grill protects all my eggcessories from the elements.

I just moved to Minnesota from CA and it has not stopped me from using my egg in the negative degrees. I was searing some steaks the other night at 700 while it was -12 outside. (also smoked some butt for 18hrs in the snow about a month ago)

These grills are eggddictive !

Had mine roughly for a year. Haven't used my gasser, offset, gosm or my UDS since. I cook on it almost daily. Put a brisket flat on at 7:30 Monday morning - went to work - at 5:00 pm egg was still at 220 after being unattended all day. Gotta love it.

Now that's a testimonial right there.

I live in chicago and all winter I have been cooking on it and no problems at all. I just cooked a 15 pound packer for over 17 hours and then cooked the point for an additional 3 hours on it, still have about 1/2 to 1/3 of my original lump. Best thing that ever happened to me.

DO NOT BUY IT USED!!!!!!! I bought mine used and realized my warranty is void. I am going to get another one at an egg fest. you can get them there for a good price since they are demo models and your warranty is still valid.

go green in 2009!

After much researching I bought mine based on the fact it has a lifetime warranty. Not many ceramic cookers have that. I have owned mine for 8 months now and have used my UDS and Weber only once each during that time. I wish I had the egg first, then I wouldn't have a backyard full of smokers that no longer get used. Start saving your money and keep looking for a deal on one. I got my large, with electric lighter, lump, egg mates, stand, ash tool for $750, no tax. As The Dirty Burger said, be sure you buy from a dealer if you want the warranty, it does not transfer from the original owner. Check out TheNakedWhiz website for any questions you have, its like the bible for the ceramic cooker world.

I'm still saying Primo!

Made in Atlanta, GA USA. (support American workers)

Back