• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

An unusual find on an old WSM

Harbormaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So about a year ago, I scored a "C" WSM on Craigs List. It's been sitting in the shed waiting for me to get around to cleaning it up.
Over the course of the last few nights I have scrubbed the dome and center section clean, and I took the legs off of the charcoal bowl to give it a thorough cleaning and get the intake vents fixed and shaped. (All of the stop tabs were bent over and the daisy wheels didn't hug the bowl.)
As I worked on one of the vents and got some of the gunk off, I noticed it had both a "C" stamp and a "D" stamp. This was only on one vent. All of the other vents are stamped only with a "C".
Also, the handle has only one screw, and the charcoal ring has two sets of holes around it. The "C"s were only supposed to have one set of holes in the charcoal ring. I'm thinking this one was made in late 1981 early 1982 and had some parts from both years.

Here are some pics.

First, just a shot of the WSM.

The original handle.

The dual date code bottom vent.

And upon closer inspection, what I originally thought was a scratch on the top vent turned out to be a part of a second date stamp. You can make it out to the lower left of the rivet.

So, there you go. A "C" WSM with two vents that have dual date stamps.

That is very interesting. I wonder if anyone at Weber could help you figure it out. There had to be some reason to put two stamps on one vent. Maybe there is a record behind that decision.

CD

Hey Pappy,
My B and C have steel doors and legs. Not sure when they transitioned to aluminum. Obviously after D!

You know if you stored some of those in my garage, you'd have room for that green Performer! I'm always willing to lend a helping hand! Great bullet Clark!

Looks great! Congrats on your find buddy. I wish I had those handles and door.

Maybe yours was made the day after New Years and the guy at the factory used the wrong stamp and had to re-stamp yours for the current year.

I watch the Keith Fenner channel on youtube(he runs a machine shop) and he made that mistake last January and had to re date stamp the part he made.

Chris

Sorry to hear you wont be at Puckaway. We enjoyed meeting you at Poor Que, hope to see you there next year.
We drove through Wyocena saturday, It is still a beautiful little town.

Back