• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

THE BIG MEAT: Coffee Rubbed GIANT Bone-in USDA Prime Ribeye Cowboy Chop

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Last week, I scored two giant prime bone in ribeyes from Double R Ranch & Snake River Farms, a Brethren vendor. I was strongly encouraged to try this cut, as it’s one of their most popular items, and I was assured I would not be disappointed. I was somewhat hesitant though, as ribeyes have grown out of favor with me, due to their high fat content in the middle of the cut.

Here they are in packaging, shortly after they arrived:

5282014BigMeatx2_zps3e3be78c.jpg

I put a large tape measure near them so you get an idea of how big they really are! The smaller one went in the deep freeze, while the bigger one was chosen for cooking on Saturday. Besides the rich marbling, I noticed the chops did not have nearly as much fat in the middle as I’ve seen from many other ribeyes, so I’m glad I took the advice of the customer service rep at Double R Ranch.

Here it is on the day of the cook out of the package:

612014BeefTDPlate1_zps5e846122.jpg

To prep the meat, I gave the giant chop a very generous rubdown with Cattleman’s Grill Original Cowboy Coffee Steak seasoning. I had tried this rub once before, and I have to say, it’s REALLY good. The rub is only available at All Things BBQ, also another Brethren vendor.

DSC_2778_zps54af651e.jpg

612014BeefTDPlate2_zpscbd54598.jpg

I had originally planned to do the whole cook on the Kamado, but after further reflection, I decided to use two cookers. Why? Due to the enormous size and thickness of the meat, I wanted it to cook as evenly as possible, so I basically did a reverse sear, starting with the Kingsford Oval, and finishing up with a lightening sear on the kamado using LOTS of lump.

On the Oval:

612014BeefTDKingsford1_zpsa02614d7.jpg

Turned it over after about 15 minutes:

612014BeefTDKingsford2_zpsf5b466f0.jpg

Now on the kamado:

612014BeefKamadoSear_zps2da77412.jpg

The temp was so hot I couldn’t hold my hand closer than 16 inches above the grate, which is exactly what I was looking for. The chop got about 2 minutes per side. The internal temp was a solid 120 degrees when I pulled it off, which is just perfect for us.

While the meat rested, the table was set:

612014BeefPlacemat_zpsfa89804e.jpg

Now plated:

DSC_2770_RichardSte257D6A1_zpsb35b4755.jpg

Let’s look closer:

5312014BIGMEAT2_zpsd8b533bc.jpg

I have to say, this was one of the absolute best ribeyes I’ve ever eaten. The meat was very flavorful and rich with plenty of nice marbling, and the coffee rub caramelized beautifully so the outer part of the meat had a nice crispy char, but not burnt texture. The reason there is no pic of the meat after I cut into it is because I couldn't stop eating after the first bite. :icon_blush:

Thanks for checking out the big meat!

Looks great to me. I've done tea but not coffee. For tea i just empty a green tea bag...it wasn't bad at all.

Excellent pick on the coffee rub......goes just right with that particular set of flavors in beef !!!!

Super nice cookup.....very well executed !!!!

For our ATBBQ steak grilling class, we use that rub and then sear each side on a 640 at 450 degrees using a cast iron griddle on the left side near the firebox with the diffuser plate out. Then we transfer it to the right side of the smoker on the standard grate, and smoke it to the desired doneness which we feel is 135. Now we use the 1 inch Creekstone rib eye for this but I believe you could do the same thing with one of those bone in monsters. :thumb:

But Moose, it would be hard to top what you did. Yours looks perfect.

Fantastic looking meat, Moose! Would have loved to see a cut shot, but I understand about "can't stop eating". Happens to the best of us!

Back