Thread: Turkey Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
This is true but you can pull other flavors into it still.

It's ok to leave it in a brine for that long... normally 24 hours would be the norm but it's all good.
Pulling in other flavors yes... and depending on the salinity, it's possible to get an exchange of liquids. Osmosis is movement of liquids from two different concentrations, trying to equalize.

Hey Paul, I've brined many a bird for 48 hours, so 60 will not be a show stopper. Going with a weaker brine would work too (long time with a weaker brine = short time with a stronger brine). I've rested birds in the fridge for 24 hours, so I would think you would be okay going 36.

As long as you have a cold fridge, I think I would either go with the weaker brine for 60 hours, or the 36 hour rest. OR, convince your neighbor to stop over and rinse the brine, dry the bird and get it back in the fridge on Sunday night.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->