Small Toy Hauler 5x8

Cast Iron Chef

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm tired of renting a Uhaul for comps. I'm looking at some 5x8 enclosed trailers on Craig's list. One I'm looking at is a toy hauler with the fold down rear ramp. There is no side door either. My concern is regular traffic going up and down the ramp. My 17 year old would make this no issue but more and more it's just me and the wife and I'm your XL BBQ guy. Anybody have experience with weight limits and durability of these smaller toy haulers?

Also, is it a possibility adding a side door or are they factory only?

Thanks, Paul

Ramp should handle the weight easily, but I would keep shopping until I found one that had a side door and any other option(s) you want. There are a lot of the for sale and they're CHEAP.

I use one of these with good success. Mine also has a side door, which is useful if it rains, since you can put the door opening under an Ez-Up.

If you have the vehicle to pull it get the largest enclosed trailer you can afford and definitely with a side door. Those ramp doors are tough so don't worry about the weight issue on them.

And be sure to check the interior heith if you want to prep inside. I had a 6x10 Haulmark with ramp and side door. I added a rooftop AC and had about 6 foot 2 inches inside. The ramp door is shorted and was known to knock a few noggins on the way in and out.

Take a look around on some of the ORV sites that have trailer sub forums for some ideas as well. There are some pretty creative interior ideas out there. One I particularly liked was the use of e-tracks for tie downs, brackets on folding tables that functioned as prep areas and bunks, bag awnings and add-a rooms on the side of the trailer and ramp rooms.

While the ramp is built to hold up, it's the wear and tear on *you* that will make you haaaaate it. We did, and swore that we'd never again use a trailer unless it had barn doors and a side door.

Not much a problem in your part of the world, but when we traveled to a different climate we found out that a ramp in the rain is even less fun.

Thanks everybody. I looked at a few more and decided on the 5x8 toy hauler. Called a few places and not practical to add the side door. The ramp is rated at 1200 lbs so were good there. Not much prep area inside but could use in a pinch. May make a good sleeping shelter if needed. Called a dealer and he said he would buy it based on price and description. This is only for 3-5 years until I can afford an RV Toy Hauler and something to pull it with. Wifey is getting tired of the port-a-poties.

Thanks everybody. I looked at a few more and decided on the 5x8 toy hauler. Called a few places and not practical to add the side door. The ramp is rated at 1200 lbs so were good there. Not much prep area inside but could use in a pinch. May make a good sleeping shelter if needed. Called a dealer and he said he would buy it based on price and description. This is only for 3-5 years until I can afford an RV Toy Hauler and something to pull it with. Wifey is getting tired of the port-a-poties.

That's just how we started.

My only comment would be to go with something bigger now rather than suffer for "3-5 years". We lived (literary) out of a 6 x 10 for four years and be leave me, it was tight at times.

We've since moved up to a 32 foot toy hauler and what a world of difference. I now have to worry about the plumbing in the spring and fall, paying for storage where I used to store my old trailer in the back yard. On top of having to get a bigger truck to haul it.

I'll tell you, I wouldn't go back for the money I spent. You picked a great way to start.

You need to keep looking if you can't find a 5x8 with a side door! Especially if you have to order one from a dealer.

If you are only planning on having it for a few years troll craigslist and find a used one. My teammate just informed me he was selling his 5x8 w/barn doors and a side door for $1500. I bought mine from another BBQ cook that downgraded to a 5x8.

FYI, I sold my 6x10 with ramp, side door and rooftop ac for a little over $2000. Craigslist can be your friend.

Back