Restaurant Quality Burgers at Home

I'd like to try this at home! :wink: Here's one that I had in SoCal last month.

4948854172_dbec860132_z.jpg

John

In NYC there are actually quite a few burger spots that would be good models to emulate.. i think this article is paying homage to that trend.

The Serious Eats article (linked to by Yahoo in their article) has some great tips. I had started grinding my own blend with decent results but had always seasoned my grind before I researched a bit more. The tip about not salting until just before cooking is the best advice I think people can take if they really want a juicy, beefy burger. Sometimes I will do a more “meat-loaf” style burger and mix in some things to the grind, but for pure unadulterated burger deliciousness, I handle as little as possible and season the exterior just before cooking.

Thanks for the photo! I have heard of "In and Out Burgers," but never had one.
The photo tells all!

I don't know of any restaurants I want to copy at home.

There are a few places that grind their own meat that I try to copy - Kuma's being the main one. They use great meat, a wide variety of spice mixes, and some of the most inventive toppings, I've ever seen. Most of the restaurants I've asked have been more than happy to tell me the cuts of beef and the general spices they use.

In-N-Out! oh yeah.

My parents knew the Snyder family. Behind the in-N-Out on Francisquito ave. They had a Smart and Final type store. My parents shopped there. They gave us our first case of microwave corndogs. Like crack to a junky back then. I worked on Highway Patrol cars (oil, tire, fluid changes) in high school. We used to borrow a car and make a pass through the drive through. We'd get free food before they realized we weren't cops. At a lot of them burgers. Oh yeah and the shakes!

http://www.in-n-out.com/history.asp

Gotta have the Animal Style fries with that! Then just go and check yourself into the nearest hospital :-D

No, no...No way! Thats good for you now and then. I just do a couple more sit ups (ya right) .

In and Out has the mystique and there burgers are good for the fast food type of burgers. Kuma's Corner was mentioned and that place is really really good. Good beer and music as well.

Back