I have a WSM, do I need a UDS?

crimsonaudio

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have had a WSM for about ten years now - love it, and create amazing (as my friends and neighbors describe it) smoked butts, ribs, etc on it, but all the talk of the UDS's here has me interested. Does the UDS bring anything to the table that the WSM doesn't aside from capacity? Curious if anyone owns both and what your thoughts me by...

TIA.

What size is your WSM? I have both an 18 WSM and a UDS. I like the extra space in the UDS for ribs and really large briskets. If you have a 22 WSM and don't need the extra cooking space then I see no reason to have one.

Besides the obvious fact that we are are so hooked on this that we can never have TOO many smokers. :wink:

What Mike said. Uds is basically the same just larger capacity like ya said. If you have the space definitely do one. Just dont get it went. My first got rain one it, now I have 4. Kinda like gremlins

Thanks for the replies - my WSM is an 18.5", I just cut the rib slabs in half and with racks can smoke up to five full slabs at a time - plenty for all my needs.

It looks like the UDS just adds capacity, but I love the concept of 'rolling my own', maybe in stainless. Just trying to convince myself there's any reason to do it other than 'tool lust'...

I have had a WSM for about ten years now - love it, and create amazing (as my friends and neighbors describe it) smoked butts, ribs, etc on it, but all the talk of the UDS's here has me interested. Does the UDS bring anything to the table that the WSM doesn't aside from capacity? Curious if anyone owns both and what your thoughts me by...

TIA.
Yep sure does...BUT it depends on the capability of the UDS. A regular UDS will produce more flavor from drippings in the coals....some like i do use a pan with holes that diffuse the heat and drippings. (blended)

Drums like a Big Poppa have a charcoal basket that you can raise and it hooks up higher below the cooking grate so you can reverse sear or grill....lots of different cooking options (too many to explain)

No need for a water pan in either the WSM or UDS. Basically the WSM has a water pan is because it's a start up commercial product that makes it easy for anyone to fire one up and cook.

Then it's settled. Keep the 18 wsm, build a drum with the mods you want.
Guess this will be the last "should I get a uds/wsm thread?"

I have both. I use the drums more because they are easier on fuel, especially when it is cold out. Also much easier to cook hot and fast on. As far as capacity goes, both the 22.5" wsm and the drums have 2 22.5" grates each. My drums have pegs for a 3rd rack but its so close to the charcoal basket you would charbroil something pretty quick.

I like both, that's why I own both.

Thanks for the replies - my WSM is an 18.5", I just cut the rib slabs in half and with racks can smoke up to five full slabs at a time - plenty for all my needs.

It looks like the UDS just adds capacity, but I love the concept of 'rolling my own', maybe in stainless. Just trying to convince myself there's any reason to do it other than 'tool lust'...

Maybe the drum is more fuel efficent? Since it is more airtight? I can't think of any other reasons. WSM is pretty nice.

The flavor is a tad different, but they are similar in concept, obviously.

I have a 22 WSM and had little interest in a UDS originally, but as my capacity needs grow, I have been thinking about a PBC (similar enough to a UDS for conversation), - it seems boring to get another identical cooker because i'd only use both if I needed the space, but having another (slightly) different tool in the arsenal is always good.

I have a BGE and (2) UDS's

BGE for small party, UDS's for bigger party's

Tool lust is reason enough to build one. Wanting to see if it's a different flavor is reason enough to build one. More capacity is reason enough to build one. Better results in different weather is reason enough to build one.

Do I need to give more reasons? Even if you decide you hate it, there's always CL and I'm sure you'd be able to get rid of it pretty easily should you need to (you won't).

I have an 18 WSM and a UDS. I use both. The UDS can do 8 butts at a time if you are ever tagged to cook for a big party. :)

Short Answer Yes
Long Answer Hell Yes

Back