BWS Fat Boy at comps on grass

sdbbq1234

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So, we are getting ready for competitions this year with our new BWS Fat Boy.

My question is: Do others use a piece of plywood or something like that to set their heavy type smoker on when the comp is a grass area?

My concerns are that of course it might not roll very easily on grass, and, if it rains and gets muddy, well, it ain't gonna roll very well at all.

I have help getting in and out of our truck or a small U-Haul.

Thanks.

wallace

Get two heavy duty eye bolts that fit the holes near the base of the cooker. Install them on one side. Tie a rope in between the eye bolts or better yet tie a rope to a couple carabiners for easy insert and release. Easy, low center of gravity, pull that makes it easy to wield the fatboy to his master's will. :grin:

Get two heavy duty eye bolts that fit the holes near the base of the cooker. Install them on one side. Tie a rope in between the eye bolts or better yet tie a rope to a couple carabiners for easy insert and release. Easy, low center of gravity, pull that makes it easy to wield the fatboy to his master's will. :grin:

Funny, when I first read this, I thought WTH? But, I get it now. Thanks!

I am still kinda worried about the grass being really soft, or if it rains, then I got a muddy REALLY soft problem.

I am still thinking I might need a 4'x4' piece of 3/4" plywood.

But, I sure like your idea! Already have a bunch of the carabiners hook things, so that will work.

For now, it is just the wifey and me and trying to talk the Fat Boy into doing things can get frustrating. :mrgreen:

The older I get, the heavier this stuff is.

wallace

This is similar to what I do, but I use a ratchet strap (so kind of the same idea). It has the hooks on each end and the strap connects them. And since I use the straps for other stuff I always have them there. Being able to pull up while pulling in general makes moving them through grass so much easier.

The plywood will work nicely until you are actually laying it in mud and/or water. At that point it will warp and eventually rot. It will work for sure, but wont last long. But if you don't mind replacing it often...

Of course, the casters you have on it make a big difference in the terrain it will negotiate.

I had the same method with chain on my Competitor - rope would have been much better on my hands.

Good stuff to think about for sure! And the post about the plywood wrapping, I need to maybe re-think that idea. Good thick plywood is not cheap!

Thanks.

Any ther ideas, please keep them coming.

Thanks!

wallace

We had a wood frame built that bolts into the bottom of our Fatboy. The frame has castered pneumatic wheels and the wide footprint of the wheels makes it super easy to roll. PM me and I can shoot a picture over. Actually, I'm having the Fatboy permanently attached to my trailer porch and will no longer need the wheel/frame, so if you're interested perhaps we can make a deal on the setup. My trailer's up in Greencastle now but will be back in Woodbridge the last week of April.

We had a wood frame built that bolts into the bottom of our Fatboy. The frame has castered pneumatic wheels and the wide footprint of the wheels makes it super easy to roll. PM me and I can shoot a picture over. Actually, I'm having the Fatboy permanently attached to my trailer porch and will no longer need the wheel/frame, so if you're interested perhaps we can make a deal on the setup. My trailer's up in Greencastle now but will be back in Woodbridge the last week of April.

Very cool! PM sent.

Thanks!

wallace

We had a wood frame built that bolts into the bottom of our Fatboy. The frame has castered pneumatic wheels and the wide footprint of the wheels makes it super easy to roll.

+1

Our Fat Boy has a welded metal frame with pneumatic wheels added. I also put pneumatic wheels on the FEC, the sink, and our shelves. You get the idea. Pneumatic wheels everywhere - they are much better than hard casters on grass.

The only thing that stinks about pneumatic wheels is if they get a hole in them. Otherwise, they are great! :thumb:

The only thing that stinks about pneumatic wheels is if they get a hole in them. Otherwise, they are great! :thumb:

True, and you have to top them off with air a few times during the season, but beats trying to dig your smoker out of wet grass.

I went with 10" run flat wheels. Had heard of some pneumatic wheels getting toasted with a stray lump or briq falling out.

My Gater has two rigid casters on the rear and swivels on the front. Tip it back and move it like a hand truck. I bought a set of nesting camper jacks if I ever get stuck on an uneven surface to level it out. Haven't needed them yet.

I have a handtruck I bought at Lowes. I just wheel it down from the toy hauler and set it under the EZ up til it is time to fire it up. I then move it just outside of the EZ up or under the awning of the trailer depending on weather. This is for a party not a Fat Boy. I've not experienced the burrowing BWS. If/when that happens I guess I'll be looking around to borrow a shovel :>)

I have 2 fat boys with caster wheels. I never move them far from my trailer when cooking, so I don't worry that much about the grass. I do have some wood chunks to level it out if I'm set up on uneven ground. Never had a problem with them sinking or anything. I put a full pan under each one to help catch embers when I check the coal pan. It also makes for easy clean up as the ash can just get dumped right in (have someone spray a mist of water to keep the ash down and to cool everything off for easy disposal). The pan also saves the grass where you are cooking.

I have the 10" run flat casters on my competitior and it rolls pretty good on grass. I carry several peices if scrap 1X4 siding about 8"-10" long to put under the tires when set up to keep from settling into the grass and for leveling.

I had a fat boy for 6 years in competition.. small castors, and a dolly to move it around in the grass.

I am lucky to have a brother-in-law with a welder who mounted 10" pneumatic casters (2 swivel, 2 fixed) on my FB. It goes anywhere and you can let air out of the tires to level it. Been on for two years with no problems.

Again, thanks for the ideas. Good stuff!

As for the folks that are using the 10" run flat wheels, do you have those bolted to the bottom of the smoker?

Thanks!

wallace

Back