Shucked Oysters in Liquor Ideas

R

rcbaughn

Well, I got a pint of shucked oysters in their liquor for $1.50 since they were close to date and now I don't know what to do with them. I am dead set on grilling or smoking with them, but I want to make a meal and not just an appetizer like smoked oysters. Buying them in the can is my go to for that. LOL.

Anyone ever used these somehow on the grill or their smoker? I saw something about carpetbag steak, where a filet if stuffed with shucked oysters and grilled, but since these aren't fresh I don't know about cooking a steak medium rare with uncooked oysters in the center.

May just end up having to make a fried oyster po boy and call it a day.

Not really what yuou asked for but great pre meal idea:
http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1030093&catid=1

Here is another neat snack:
Oysters, Pie
INGREDIENTS:
1 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs butter
20 oysters
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbs minced garlic
2/3 cup cooked, chopped spinach
8 artichoke hearts (halved or quartered)
For the sauce:
3 Tbs butter
2 Tbs gravy flour
1- 1/2 cups half and half
1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated cheese of choice
2 9 Inch Pie crusts
PROCEDURE:
1. Over medium heat, lightly sauté the oysters in oil and butter for a minute or so, turning once. Remove and set aside. Sauté the onion and garlic until soft---don't brown. Add spinach and artichokes and mix well. Set this aside also. Make a light roux with the butter, flour and add the half and half. When sauce is thickened, return other ingredients to pan, add nutmeg, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Stir in cheese if you prefer or wait and spread later. Pie crusts should be completely thawed. (At this point, I like to roll them out a bit thinner.) Ladle ingredients evenly into ramekins, cover with pastry and trim the edges. Cut a couple of slits in the top of each and bake in a 350-degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until nicely browned. Serve hot.
Recipe Type: Main Dish, Seafood
Source
Source: Gene Cate, 2010/12/28

grilled oysters Drago's style is the way to go. Drago's does their oysters on the half shell on the grill so you will have to improvise. What I do is use a disposable muffin pan. I put 2 to 3 oysters per muffin and cover with garlic-parsley butter and place on the grill. Cook for a minute then cover with grated romano cheese. Do not overcook oysters. Serve with french bread

Last edited:
grilled oysters Drago's style is the way to go. Drago's does their oysters on the half shell on the grill so you will have to improvise. What I do is use a disposable muffin pan. I put 2 to 3 oysters per muffin and cover with garlic-parsley butter and place on the grill. Cook for a minute then cover with grated romano cheese. Do not overcook oysters. Serve with french bread

My GOODNESS that looks WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!! love it!!!!!!!!:clap:

Do the above muffin pan Rockefeller style, sauteed spinach, garlic, chopped artichoke, bacon, anise, cream cheese mixed together and topped with parm cheese.

You could also plank them on cedar

We cook a lot of them on the bbq & the first choice for us at least, is to put the shucked ones into a recently previously used fresh shucked oyster shell (with part of the butter, seasonings,etc. in place) on the grill & add whatever else to them, etc.... as you like.... Or a cast iron pan on the grill, either a skillet or with "muffin" type openings as mentioned & go from there.

What a good idea. Using that idea instead of garlic-parsley butter try Japanese mayonnaise with a small amount of blue cheese added. The Japanese mayo doesn't crack when heated like normal mayo. Under grill for a minute or so & eat - delicious.
John

Do the above muffin pan Rockefeller style, sauteed spinach, garlic, chopped artichoke, bacon, anise, cream cheese mixed together and topped with parm cheese.

You could also plank them on cedar

now you are talking!!!

You lost me at "since they were close to date". I love oysters but am careful to the point of paranoia regarding freshness.
That being said, one of my favorite oyster methods is to take thick cut bacon and cut it into 1" pieces. Then put a couple drops of BBQ or hot sauce on top of an oyster on the half shell (can use the aforementioned muffin tin mod for pre-shucked oysters, or small oven proof ramekins) then top with a piece of bacon. Park them under a HOT broiler just until the bacon browns. Oysters should be only warmed through by this point. Don't want to overcook them.

Back