Free entry to BBQlossal in Des Moines, IA

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The last few years, the Missouri Pork Association has sponsored us for the BBQlossal in Des Moines, IA. On Thursday night, we would serve a five course meal for 8 under one of the hospitality tents. These are the Cigar dinners that I've talked about here before. Missouri Pork pays for everything, we bring the table settings, cook and serve. The same group from Ohio bought the meal the last two years. We served lobster tails and bacon wrapped pork tenderloin medallions. All of the wines were from Missouri by the Missouri Wine Board.

Well, our catering has gotten so big last year and this coming year, that we can't do the cigar dinner. It has raised over $2000 for Missouri Pork Association each year, so they are very disappointed that we aren't doing it.

This could be a great opportunity to pick up a free contest to anyone interested. Let me know ASAP if you are interested. I'll give you the run down of what we do so you know what you are in for. We have really enjoyed it. It is a five star meal. Well, maybe four. :wink: All of the pork and lobster was cooked table side on a grill. It always draws a crowd and the diners love watching the show.

We maybe interested. We were looking at this contest for this year. We have done several catering events and this sounds like fun. Can you tell us a little more about what you do?

Thanks

Well, our catering has gotten so big last year and this coming year, that we can't do the cigar dinner. It has raised over $2000 for Missouri Pork Association each year, so they are very disappointed that we aren't doing it.

Todd we don't believe that. We know its because you spend all your time at Leavenworth prison supervising the inmates who make your trailer hitch covers.......

Yours in Que
Merl

Dinner for 8 is not a big challenge. What is a challenge is figuring out how you are going cook everything, transport it hot/cold, cook the lobsters fresh cause lobster doesn't hold, and provide everything you need for the table. All of this is in the middle of the World Pork expo at the end of the day. The crowd is starting to fade, but those still around have been drinking awhile.

A pretty easy job for a free entry to the contest, plus you'll get a couple of lobster tails, some wine and cigars to take back with you. However, it is easy if you plan. It can be a PITA if you don't.

I can't believe you cant make this one work.... this was always one of your mastermind events! hmmm...

I can't believe you cant make this one work.... this was always one of your mastermind events! hmmm...

We served 1100 people in 2 days last year. Doing a seated dinner for 8 in the middle of it for a $150 entry fee wasn't worth it. We appreciate everything the MPA has done for us the last several years, but we just couldn't do it all and big gigs with big pay won out.

Hell, we even got Brethren flying in to help us. :biggrin:

C'mon Todd. Last year's runner up catetered five parties and over 200 people. You can do it. Maybe it's a sign.

C'mon Todd. Last year's runner up catetered five parties and over 200 people. You can do it. Maybe it's a sign.

I got 1 1/2 hours of sleep in 72 hours last year.

They also didn't travel 3 1/2 hours for the event. But I know what you are saying.

I got 1 1/2 hours of sleep in 72 hours last year.

They also didn't travel 3 1/2 hours for the event. But I know what you are saying.
It should be fun. Anne was talking about it Sat night. They took whole hog out of the grand champion. It is a category of it's own now.

It should be fun. Anne was talking about it Sat night. They took whole hog out of the grand champion. It is a category of it's own now.

Yep, Anne's been talking to us as well to bounce ideas off of like she has with many of her long running teams. We're for anything that helps this contest grow and continue. Definitely a special one that we'd love to win someday.

It makes it good for a team like us who don't have a cooker big enough for a hog. I had a buddy who bragged about how awesome his whole hog was. He came out to do it for me last year and finished next to last. Never done a hog before but got a good feeling from the prep it was going to be bad. Then he tried to do it hot and fast. Worst pork I have had.

It makes it good for a team like us who don't have a cooker big enough for a hog. I had a buddy who bragged about how awesome his whole hog was. He came out to do it for me last year and finished next to last. Never done a hog before but got a good feeling from the prep it was going to be bad. Then he tried to do it hot and fast. Worst pork I have had.
I guess you have never tried ours.:icon_sick

Well if whole hog is out then I'm in!
And Jay, I'll take a plate of pork please!

Back