How do you build a great comp team?

TroyA65

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a local comp this summer and I'm struggling with "My Team". I was tempted to just fly solo for my first event so that I can get a feel for it going forward, but everything I've read says that is probably a bad idea. BTW I have no plans of jumping on the "circuit" anytime soon, I have younger kids and too many other things going on to take that leap. I just think doing a local comp or two would be fun.

That being said, if it was just about the fun I'd have people over for another party. I want to see how my stuff stands up against other cooks in a comp. I'm not expecting to walk away as Grand Champion but I would like to at least get one call.

Now that you have some idea on my perspective, how have you guys put together your teams? How many on a team 2, 3, 4? Is one person doing all the cooking and everyone else does boxes, clean up, etc? Do you have one person do chicken, one do ribs, etc...

I have 2 or 3 friends that also live in my neighborhood that I'm considering asking (actually one has been try to convince me to do it) they are all good cooks some good at BBQ (unfortunately we all like beverages, which is a concern of mine for a comp environment).

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as this progresses but I am looking forward to all of your insights. Thanks guys!

Just me and my wife. I do all the prep, cooking and puting the meat in the boxes. She builds the boxes, keeps things clean and her and my 9 year old son run the boxes. She also keeps me out of the booze on Friday. (I think she has the harder job)

We have anywhere from 2-5 team members, depending on availability. Primarily our team is me and one other guy, we're in charge of the "contest." Everyone else is either there to help setup/cleanup or to hang out and drink beer. If we vend at a contest, then the other guys deal with the vending side of things while me and the other guy work on the contest.

Number 1 thing is make sure you like who you compete with, you'll be spending at least 24 hours straight with them.

You can do it by yourself, don't let anyone tell you that you can't. I've done several by myself. Got my first G.C. by myself. A lot, and I'd almost say most, successful BBQ "Teams" in KCBS are husband/wife.

If you want to see how your stuff stacks up you don't want another cook. Find somebody that can watch your stuff over night and allow you to get some rest. You'll also need a box runner and cleanup help (you'll be tired, trust me).

I started competing last year, and the core team is me, my wife, and one of my friends who really just wanted to learn to cook bbq. I do most of the cooking and prep, but my buddy has practiced and competed with me enough that he's comfortable prepping meats now. This year, he wants to try to cook one category. My wife does our boxes and presentation. I also have a young child so I can't take the full bbq schedule plunge, but I plan on it in years to come as my son gets older.

So I think the main factor is having someone like minded that wants to learn to cook, or enjoys cooking. I've incurred 99% of the cost myself so far, but I think we will have another member joining us this year, and may start to split some cost.

ggoood looking , great tasting food with time management

We started with 4 people - one per meat. Couple of friends and a father in law. We did one per year like that for about 3 years. If you are looking to keep costs low and have a good time, this is an option. When we kicked it up and went to 8-10 per year, it became two people per comp. Depends on the chemistry of the team. Ours performs better with the two person team - but costs go up and clean up sucks just a little more.

If you plan to have a party and entertain, I would at least find some friends to help out on Friday night and to clean up.

For the last 3 seasons I've competed as a 1-man team. It was my wife and me until our daughter was born, and when she gets a little older we'll make it a family team.

The 3 comps I've done have all been solo. But they were ibca not kcbs (20 minute turn in windows, seperated by an hour or more). I think its easier for me because I want it all done my way. I just made sure to do a practice run at home, have everything outside that I think I'll need, write down anything you have to go inside for and add it to your checklist. And when you do the practice run, stick to what a normal turn in schedule would be for a comp. Also, do as much of the prep work at home that is allowed, ie: trimming, mixing up injections, sauces, etc. so that you have less work at the comp.

1 man team with an occasional visiting helper is the best way to go.

I did my first competition solo. I did it solo for the fact I didnt want to subject anyone to something I did not understand. You can do it by yourself, but you have to make sure you prep everything before you get there. Make all your sauces, rubs, injections, meat trimming before you leave the house. The worst part running solo is running the box, and having to run back to start on your next box prep. I found out I would be happy with one more person. Some teams have 4, 5, 6, people. I think thats too much. Just my $0.02.

I'm basically with Dan, one man show, with a best friend that hangs out and watches the pits at night (in theory as long as he doesn't pass out). We've had a couple guys who are just getting interested helping us out as of late, which has worked out better than I could have imagined. This year the plan is to have one of the two of them with us at every comp now that we know how handy the extra set of hands can be.

I'm thinking of doing a local comp this summer and I'm struggling with "My Team". I was tempted to just fly solo for my first event so that I can get a feel for it going forward, but everything I've read says that is probably a bad idea. BTW I have no plans of jumping on the "circuit" anytime soon, I have younger kids and too many other things going on to take that leap. I just think doing a local comp or two would be fun.

That being said, if it was just about the fun I'd have people over for another party. I want to see how my stuff stands up against other cooks in a comp. I'm not expecting to walk away as Grand Champion but I would like to at least get one call.

Your entry could be DAL (Dead A$$ Last) NOT because it is bad, but because in comp BBQ you cook for the judges, not for yourself. You must remember in KCBS you are not cooking against the other cooks food. You are cooking against the KCBS definition of good barbeque. Your entry is not being compared against the other entries at the competition, it is being compared to the three definitions of Appearance, Taste and Tenderness. MBN and a few sanctioning bodies like it instruct judges to compare entries against each other.

Now that you have some idea on my perspective, how have you guys put together your teams?

We are a big BBQ Family.

How many on a team 2, 3, 4?

We have 11 regular members

Is one person doing all the cooking and everyone else does boxes, clean up, etc?

We have Category leads, and sous chefs that back up those category leads. We have box builders and runners. We have bartenders. We have people that just like to eat.

Do you have one person do chicken, one do ribs, etc...

1 category lead. 1 sous chef. per big 4 meats.
ancillary cooks for extra contests
peoples choice cooks for peoples choice contests

I have 2 or 3 friends that also live in my neighborhood that I'm considering asking (actually one has been try to convince me to do it) they are all good cooks some good at BBQ (unfortunately we all like beverages, which is a concern of mine for a comp environment).

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as this progresses but I am looking forward to all of your insights. Thanks guys!

Our motto is cook as a family, win as a family. We all get along and we all pay into the contest equally. If you win a category you are paid back what you paid in, you get your trophy (as long as you bring it back to the next comp) then the rest goes into the team fund for maintanance, entry fees, better gear etc. It works for us.

Neil

Its just my wife and I and that's perfect for me. If aren't having fun don't do it.

We started with 4 but now it's basically 2. I moved from NC to Va so my teamates are different depending where I am competing. Our finishes are better when it's just 2 of us. Yes, Friday nights are fun with 4 or 5, but it usually ends up biting you on Saturday morning.

Back