Reading List

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know that any "what is the best..." question is fraught with difficulties, but I'm looking for suggestions for upping my BBQ skills. What books would you recommend?

serious bbq by Lang
Franklin bqq: a meat smoking manifesto by Franklin
the science of great bbq and grilling by goldwyn

IMO Smoke & Spice is really the only book you need. A lot of good ones out there though.

I agree with Smoke and spice, and would add Mike Mills Peace Love and BBQ as well as the new Operation BBQ Relief book.

I agree that books aren't necessary to make good barbecue. But books are cool. Fewer and fewer people actually read them any more, myself included. So, I have a personal rule since my reading is limited, I will only read non-fiction.

There are tons,of great bbq and other food books on Amazon. The hardbacks are sturdy and well bound, with attractive covers and pictures. There's lots of good info and bad. You just have to filter it for your own tastes. I think it's fun to collect them. They aren't that expensive.

I have Franklin's books, a fried chicken book, a BBQ sauce book. " Pitmaster" has recipes that sound both good and bad to me. Getting a few of Steven Raichlen's books now.

Last edited:
They write books on how to BBQ!?

If nothing else, for kindling.

I'm a reader and believe that getting a little direction to the right path cuts down on the learning curve. I have one of Myron's book, one by Melissa (Oh, I can't remember her last name right now) and two by Steve Raichlin (Sp?). Myron does a lot of cooking in pans, which is different from a lot of others. Nevertheless, it gave me some things to consider. It took a lot of direction to only pay attention to brisket temperature to a certain point and then probe for tenderness. I'm just hoping for more of the same: framework from which to build good habits.

Plus I like looking at the pictures.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll probably invest a few bucks. Kindle editions are usually pretty cheap.

If nothing else, for kindling.

I'm a reader and believe that getting a little direction to the right path cuts down on the learning curve. I have one of Myron's book, one by Melissa (Oh, I can't remember her last name right now) and two by Steve Raichlin (Sp?). Myron does a lot of cooking in pans, which is different from a lot of others. Nevertheless, it gave me some things to consider. It took a lot of direction to only pay attention to brisket temperature to a certain point and then probe for tenderness. I'm just hoping for more of the same: framework from which to build good habits.

Plus I like looking at the pictures.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll probably invest a few bucks. Kindle editions are usually pretty cheap.

Oddly enough, the Kindle versions actually make terrible kindling.

Back