Now the Pig Fears ME!!!! (Heavy Pron)

The opening to my Lang is just a little over 44 inches so the rack was 42 inches. I think if you go with a smaller pig you should be able to get it into your Spicebox. You may even be able to go as large by putting it on an angle across the rack...

As for the seasoning, no injections, I did put a heavy coat of Mike Mill's 'Magic Dust' on the inside of the cavity. I also rubbed down the skin with EVOO a couple of times. In fact, I think that may be why she got so dark.

I'll bet if I got a pig without the head that an 80 pounder would fit about right.

The wife and MIL would never stand for seeing one with the head still on
anyways.:roll:

I was thinking of doing it butterflied where they cut the ribs off right at the spine
so it lays flat and do it skin side down to protect the meat since my heat is down below.

One thing I have always wondered is, if you do it skin side down, will it get greasy
since the grease has no way of dripping off, unless you poke holes in the skin for drainage.

I'll bet if I got a pig without the head that an 80 pounder would fit about right.
It might just fit... It depends on how you lay it out. That's one of the reasons I did the rack with chicken wire. If you look close, you can see where I tied her legs to the rack to keep her in a 'presentation position'

The wife and MIL would never stand for seeing one with the head still on anyways.:roll:
We had a few that wouldn't go near it... Not that they didn't eat it, they just had some one else get the meat for them. Most of the kids thought that the head was 'COOL!!!!'

I was thinking of doing it butterflied where they cut the ribs off right at the spine so it lays flat and do it skin side down to protect the meat since my heat is down below.
I'm not a huge fan of the 'Flying Squirrel' position. With it all splayed out like that, you may have a problem fitting it in your cooker... Also, remember that the heat comes off of the plate in my Lang... I had no problems with burning or being over cooked... I think because I had the skin side up, it was able to trap most if not all of the steam created while it cooked and run that back through the meat. The juice literally was bubbling out of the holes made for the probe.

One thing I have always wondered is, if you do it skin side down, will it get greasy since the grease has no way of dripping off, unless you poke holes in the skin for drainage.
I think you would have to poke a lot of holes... I got close to 1.5 gallons of grease from this pig. Also, I think that the holes would 'cook closed' and you would have to re-open them or make new ones...

If you go indirect at 250, I would do it skin side up again.

What kind of wood did you use?

Did you use any cherry?

Actually, I used a combination of Lump and Shag-Bark Hickory.

HOLY CRAP. looks awesome. Is chicken wire and rebar stainless?

The only whole pig i have had was one that was cooked underground. Some of my friends are from Hawaii. Dang good stuff.

Dang wish i was there.

Do you use a rub on the pig or would that be way to much rub to use?

HOLY CRAP. looks awesome. Is chicken wire and rebar stainless?
Nope... But since it never got above 260* it wasn't a concern (the break down temp is around 600*)

Do you use a rub on the pig or would that be way to much rub to use?

I did rub the cavity with Mike Mill's "Magic Dust". The outside was just rubbed down with Extra Virgin Olive Oil...

I like it and someday hope to do one. I thought the color was good. I also like the Idea of the fatties but for effect next time try shaping them like little suckling piglets and place them around like they are nursing off old mom for the last time.
Dave

I like it and someday hope to do one. I thought the color was good. I also like the Idea of the fatties but for effect next time try shaping them like little suckling piglets and place them around like they are nursing off old mom for the last time.
Dave

LOLOL wow... Hey maybe make a mold out of plaster so that you can sell the molds for more creative fatties

Awesome oinker Jeff! Didja remember the cherry eyes and apple?
I was talked out of the cherries for the eyes... There were enough people bothered with the head there that if I had done the eye's the local priest would have been called... As for the apple, I tried but I couldn't pry open the mouth enough before she went on... Next year I'll ask them to do that when it's butchered...

Seriously, wish we were there, looks awesome!

Are you sure you weren't??? I've been going out there for over 45 years and meet some people that were new to me but not the area...

Back