smoking a pork crown roast

• Thread starter MDS mikes drum smoker
  • Start date
M

MDS mikes drum smoker

has anyone smoked one of these and what are they exactly.

are they good and worth my time

Don't know much. But you've got to have cute little paper hats for bones!

CrownRoastPork.jpg

They're porkchops that haven't been cut apart yet. Very tasty. I did one for Thanksgiving last year but it was in the oven.

here's how i did that roast:

a crown roast cut and tied by the butcher. i rubbed it with dizzy pig jamaican firewalk and smoked it with cherry and apple chips for about 2:30 and then added a mixture of breakfast sausage, onion, mushrooms, and apples in the crown and then another 30-45 minutes in the egg.

holy carp! this was good! the original recipe is from YB on the big green egg forum and in the 2006 eggtoberfest cookbook...

i made a glaze of captain rodney's mango pepper jelly, apple juice, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and honey... boiled and reduced to a thick sauce. (that sauce ate my platesetter!)

But of course Rick has "been there, done that" ......looked outstanding!

I've done smaller bone in pork roasts (4-5 bones) and they were not big enough to roll into a crown, but they did turn out very tasty!

Ya know, sometimes it's hard not to hate Rick!

Hellofa job, Rick, no doubt about it!

here's how i did that roast:

a crown roast cut and tied by the butcher. i rubbed it with dizzy pig jamaican firewalk and smoked it with cherry and apple chips for about 2:30 and then added a mixture of breakfast sausage, onion, mushrooms, and apples in the crown and then another 30-45 minutes in the egg.

holy carp! this was good! the original recipe is from YB on the big green egg forum and in the 2006 eggtoberfest cookbook...

i made a glaze of captain rodney's mango pepper jelly, apple juice, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and honey... boiled and reduced to a thick sauce. (that sauce ate my platesetter!)

wicked nice roast.. what temp in the egg??
and what temp did you cook it too :?:

Thanx :-D

wicked nice roast.. what temp in the egg??
and what temp did you cook it too :?:

Thanx :-D

here's the original recipe:
Crown Roast​
A Crown roast is made out of a bone in pork loin. My meat cutter takes a 8 or 9 pound
loin with about 14 bones, cuts one inch slits in between each bone and then rolls it in a
circle and ties it with butchers twine.​
Ingredients​
8-9 lbs pork loin
1 lb sausage with sage
1 apple
1 onion
1 small package of mushrooms (8 oz)​
Procedure​
Chop apple,onion and mushrooms.
Brown sausage,onion,apple and mushrooms in a frying pan.
Make sure apples, onions, mushrooms and sausage are thorughly mixed and hold the
mixture in the bowl.​
Cooking​
Paint the roast with yellow mustard and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
Place the roast on a rack over a drip pan and cook at 350°.
Allow the roast to cook for about 2 hours.
Remove the roast and put the stuffing in the center of the crown roast.
Return the roast to the grill and cook it untill the internal temp reaches 150°.​
Take it off, let it rest for 15 minutes, cut it up and serve.

Back