View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like a pretty solid finish for your first event. I saw your setup when I was wandering about. A lot has already been said for specific feedback. My 3 cents is to keep practicing in general. Kind of an obvious stupid comment, but just the constant practice of trimming/cooking helps you to get better each time. It did with me at least. Then going back and looking at your boxes and seeing how the next ones come out. The size of those thighs looked good to me. That pork box has the chunks a little scattered. If you can try to fill that box up.

I don't know exactly where your ribs/chicken finished, but if they were middle of the pack then you might not need to change much. 1 contest doesn't always tell you exactly the issues depending on the tables you hit. Our chicken has done well this year and I thought it was spot on this weekend, but the judges disagreed. I will not change anything for the next competition though.

Some of the best advice I got from a few teams when I started out was work on tenderness. There are many popular rubs/sauces you can use in many combinations that will work, but if that tenderness is off flavor can get dinged regardless like Ford said.

Are you competing again soon?

Thanks from:--->