Brisket sauce and slices

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
It's kinda slow right now so here's a few competition questions.

I've noticed that in some pics of brisket turn in boxes, that the slices are all cropped to the same length. For those that do this, do you cut a square out of the center and then slice it??

For those who sauce their brisket, do you sauce the whole brisket and slice it or do you sauce each individual slice?

Do you return individual slices to the pit to candy the sauce?

For those that use au jus, do you add anything to it?

Please share with us newbies...

Bigmista said:
It's kinda slow right now so here's a few competition questions.

I've noticed that in some pics of brisket turn in boxes, that the slices are all cropped to the same length. For those that do this, do you cut a square out of the center and then slice it??

Yes, kinda, per my PM last week.

For those who sauce their brisket, do you sauce the whole brisket and slice it or do you sauce each individual slice?

Slices per my PM last week.

Do you return individual slices to the pit to candy the sauce?

NO.

For those that use au jus, do you add anything to it?

"Your call" per my PM last week.

Please share with us newbies...

Done and you are welcome :lol:

Anytime.

TIM

Last edited:
Was just tossing them out for discussion since it was slow and i was bored.

1.I trim my briskets for uniformity(is that a word:smile: ?)before it goes on the cooker.I don't mind the waste on competition meats.I use the slices from the middle of the flat.I use flats in competition.To me this keeps bark all the way around.

2.I kinda sauce twice.When I wrap,I take my finishing sauce cut with juice and then wrap.When the brisket is finished I sauce the outside,let the sauce set,then slice.I don't sauce each slice.

3.Goes from cutting board,straight to box.

Willy T.

If you go to their website you can order it for a straight-up 29.95 instead of their 34.95 trying to rip you off buy it now price. They are morons and trying to pull the wool over your eyes buy making it 5 bucks more on Ebay.

We take a first slice of each brisket and see witch one has the best flavor and tenderness, Then we keep slicing the one we like untill we can pick out the best slices of the bunch. We will lightly sauce them " very thin so that you can still see the smoke ring" and arrange them in the box. Candying them would only result in an over cooked product and IMO would destroy the good flavor of the brisket.

Just my .02 but we did have 2 -2nd place finishes in the last 2 KCBS contest.

Spice

Back