$299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

Great job on the videos! The butt looked awesome. I'm really liking what I see from the CGK.

I wonder how the BGE starter cubes compare to the Weber starter cubes? A box of 24 of the Weber cubes is less than 4 bux. In reality half a cube might work with those too.

Since I discovered how well crumpled up paper towel partially soaked with oil works, I haven't bought any fire starters.

Great conclusion. Looks like its well worth the $300. Thanks for the video reviews.

Nice review :thumb: I'm impressed with the product for the price. I think it is well worth the money. Some have expressed concern that the paint may not hold up so well but I don't share that concern. I think it will last fairly well if you take care of the product and keep it out of the weather and it would be easy enough to paint it if needed. The only concern I have is that the removable ash pan seal won't hold up over time with the constant removal and cleaning process. If I buy one (and I probably will), I may just put a pan in the bottom to catch the ashes and then pick it up and dump it. If it ever did start leaking air, you could just seal it shut with high temp caulking as one option, or I suppose you could replace the gasketing if you could find some that fit. I have to believe there is a reason some of the others haven't gone with a removable base (other than added cost). Anyway, I don't see that as a huge issue since I think it could be easily resolved one way or another. Nice job JM.

I decided my Lang needed a baby sister after watching your videos, just picked one up at Menards for $279 with a $30 rebate. they also had Royal oak lump for $5.88 for 8.8lb bag, got 2. Thanks for the review. This thing is huge

One more update...

The two cooks in this video series used a total of 4.5 lbs of lump. I dug out all the unused lump this morning and weighed it. I had 4.5lbs of reusable lump leftover from the 8.8lb bag. I'm pretty impressed with that.

Another great video. I have a question: Do you think opening the top vent a little more would have gotten you down to about the 250 range? I figure it would let more heat out of the cooker. I am by no means second guessing you, I was just thinking about it. Thanks.

Another great video. I have a question: Do you think opening the top vent a little more would have gotten you down to about the 250 range? I figure it would let more heat out of the cooker. I am by no means second guessing you, I was just thinking about it. Thanks.

It would let more heat out but it also increases the incoming draft, which would raise the temperature of the coals at the same time.

What makes the BK so heavy? At 90lbs that would put the BK at over 150? Thats about what the large egg weighs.

I wonder if the keg has more insulation. This wouldn't make up the whole weight difference, but may contribute. Powerpig said his CGK was hot to the touch when he hit 700 degrees. I've been way higher than 700 degrees on my keg and it's only been slightly warm to the touch.

Thanks for the review on the char-griller. Looks like a winner. I think the only variable left is how it holds up over time.

Darn good review JM.

I've never been a Char-Griller fan due to build quality (I've owned two of their offsets in the past), but it really looks like they hit a home run this time out with the CGK. I'm not really looking for a kamado style cooker, but if I ever do I'll probably go the CGK route thanks to the price. Keep up the good work my friend and thanks for the videos.

Menards Kooker

I decided my Lang needed a baby sister after watching your videos, just picked one up at Menards for $279 with a $30 rebate. they also had Royal oak lump for $5.88 for 8.8lb bag, got 2. Thanks for the review. This thing is huge

Hey Garyt, I've been looking at that deal too. Did yours come with the stainless or powder coated top vent? And what are the tables made of? The one on display near me looks like it might be last years model with the stainless vent.

Thanks.

nice smoke ring on that butt. it looked good.

I like the 3rd vid. I didn't watch all of 1 and skipped 2. (slow internet here)

I can afford this one but if I have 3 UDS's configured for hot grillin and "low and slow", what will this thing be doing that I'm not already doing.
I'm not complaning, just need convincing.

I see your exhaust was almost closed. is that a kamado thing? I always thought that was not good. Also, the UDS trick to temp control is to only start a few coals and let the temp rise to where you need it. I think you got too much fire going before you tried to control it. Just my 2 cents, I know nothing about eggs.

in your UDS, if you use charcoal, use RO. kingsford has a smelly problem when cooking low-n-slow. I have about 15 bags left of kingsford. I stock up during the summer sales but I only use it for grillin.

nice vid. I haven't gotten logged back into youtube since they required me to get a google account. I need to get around to it.

Really good video series ! The butt looked great and the charcoal usage was impressive. Thanks for sharing you info with us. Now if my local Lowes will only get some of these Kamadoes in !!:-D

Great vids. Hope to see more soon.

I answered your post on my tread.

Gooffy140

I can afford this one but if I have 3 UDS's configured for hot grillin and "low and slow", what will this thing be doing that I'm not already doing.
I'm not complaning, just need convincing.

Probably nothing significant if you are happy with what you are using.

I see your exhaust was almost closed. is that a kamado thing? I always thought that was not good. Also, the UDS trick to temp control is to only start a few coals and let the temp rise to where you need it. I think you got too much fire going before you tried to control it. Just my 2 cents, I know nothing about eggs.

Using the combination of top and bottom vent control gives you finer control over the airflow into the cooker. I have read stuff about leaving vents all the way open on top too, but IMO most of them don't hold much water unless you never want to clean out your cooker. The concern is of creosote buildup on the inside of the cooker. That's something you can visually monitor and deal with it if needed.

Back