• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rib Question

B

backporchbbq

I am cooking BB's tomorrow. I have never tried the 3-2-1 method before. That is 3 hours in the smoke, 2 in foil and 1 in a cooler right? When you wrap in the foil is that when you would spray with apple juice and sprinkle with brown sugar? If I still want to sauce them at the end would I open the foil sauce them and then put them back on the smoker for about 20 mins? It will probably be in a cooler for 3hrs will that make much of a difference?

Try more like a 2-2-1 for BBs. 3-2-1 is geared more for spares.

The 1 is back on the cooker out of the foil, not in the cooler. Kind of gives everything a chance to firm back up a bit after the 2 hours in the sauna.

Oh ok that makes sense. Now it being in the foil helps cook it faster? Since we never wrap it, it seems to take about 5 hrs for BB. The foil speeds things up?

Ok..after reading the UDS thread..well...38 pages of it so far...isn't 5 hours a bit much

I don't think in the case of ribs that the foil speeds things up much, but it is the time in there that really gets them tender (mushy and fall apart if you over do it) I would check them after an hour or so in the foil and see how they look in relation to how you want them.

Remember this is just a guideline, what you are cooking on and what temp (225 is the temp for the guideline) will affect things somewhat.

Yeah I try and keep my rib temps 220-240. That is what we have done at the comps. Thanks for the advise.

Is the foil neccessary?

I've never wrapped my ribs in foil. They always turn out tender. Is that because I'm just smoking them with just a rub on and brushing honey on at the end?

I've never wrapped my ribs in foil. They always turn out tender. Is that because I'm just smoking them with just a rub on and brushing honey on at the end?

Foil isn't necessary. 321, 221, etc are just another means to get to the same ends..........many different styles, methods, idea, procedures, etc out there. Many a good rib is made without foil.

2 hrs in foil for BBs is a long time, you might want to check them after 30-45 mins...You can always go longer if you want or need to. Just a thought.

I found 2-2-1 a bit long for BBs as well. Knock off about 20 min in the first 2 stages worked well with my charbroiler. Maybe because I tend to run a little hot (240) sometimes, lol.

There is a lot of variation with BBs. Some of those really thick ones can take a while... that being said... I feel like 3-2-1 for BBs is too long. I usually do 3-1.5 or so and then start checking them every 15 minutes or so. When they pass the bend test I set them out to cool for a few minutes and then cooler them. If I sauce, which is rare, I put the sauce on and put them back in the cooker for 15 minutes or so before I am going to serve them.

Since becoming a member of the Bretheren, I have tried the 3-2-1 method on my spares. They do come out a lot more tender. I really like the end result. I have tried leaving them on for 5 to 6 hrs without foiling in the past (pre-bretheren) and have always liked them, the foiling just seems to have improved them a bit for me. I love that "falling off the bone" type rib. It especially works great with country style pork ribs.

Back