brisket rub- montreal steak seasoning?

boatnut

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
thinking of doing a flat tomorrow. would like to use something besides my standard paprika based rubs. Anyone ever just rub Montreal Steak seasoning on brisket as a rub? If so, how did it taste?

I use it all the time. It tastes great! Some folks don't like the large pieces so you can run it through a coffee grinder if you want.

Getting ready to rub one for tomorrow with Tone's Garlic & Pepper Blend. Sometimes I add salt, sometimes I don't. This time I think no salt.

well, gotta 'er rubbed up. see what happens tomorrow!

Last edited:
what does the grey poupon/yellow mustard do for it? is it a flavor thing or moisture thing? i'm a noob...forgive my ignorance...

some people say mustard is only for hot dogs, some say you will never taste it, I am on the side of the fence that says you never taste it, just helps keep your rub on:) and moisture, but Grey Poupon, don't know cant wait to see what happens! wish I was boatnut friend!

Boatnut, I don't have my glasses, does that say Canandian steak seasoning on the bottle? Well I guess Montreal and Canada are the same!:mrgreen:

yup thats what it says. i got it at GFS...looks/taste same as "montreal" seasoning... bon jour! :)

what does the grey poupon/yellow mustard do for it? is it a flavor thing or moisture thing? i'm a noob...forgive my ignorance...

the mustard helps the rub stick. I've used yellow mustard on pork butts and never can taste the mustard. I had an XL jar of dijon so just trying that for grins. It's at about 160 now. I also put on a butt that had the buckboard bacon cure on it. Hopefully, I'll be eatin' good this week :)

Back