High temp paint on the cooking grate

sand the rust off and coat well with oil before and after use. If that doesn't work, just buy a new grate.

If you look at the paint can, it will say specifically not to paint a surface that comes into contact with food.

No Farkin' Way! Got to Wallyworld and get a new grate for $10!

16.95 at Hpme Depot for a brand new Weber 22.5" grate. Don't spray paint a cooking grate... you should get grounded for a week for posting it.

16.95 at Hpme Depot for a brand new Weber 22.5" grate. Don't spray paint a cooking grate... you should get grounded for a week for posting it.

LMAO!

Yea just get a Weber at HD for $13 or so, or Wally's has 22" cheapies for $9.97.

Same thought crossed my mind.....When I got done Huffing it! :biggrin:

Oh! Now you tell us! Still a big NO on the paint! What color were you thinking?

Seriously, if its expando burn off the chunks, wire brush it and oil it.

If you are really fussy about the appearance then get it sandblasted and immediately(still warm from blasting) veg oil it. Oil it the first few times of use. I would save the painted grill for a MIL that you don't need!!

If you are really fussy about the appearance then get it sandblasted and immediately(still warm from blasting) veg oil it. Oil it the first few times of use. I would save the painted grill for a MIL that you don't need!!

I second this. If you own a compressor, and who doesn't :twisted:, you can get a fairly cheep sandblasting kit from Harbor Freight.

Just wire brush it really good, paint it with lard and build a fire in your can and get it hot and let it season just like you would a cast iron skillet. No big deal. Stay away from the paint!

Back