• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Found a drum...Need help

The only problem i see Bob is that you'll have to lift the lid to shake the handle, you will find with the drum that you NEVER have to lift the lid!! :wink:

I'm contemplating this basket design....

2291686563_7360755fbd.jpg

You guys like my Artist's Rendition? Yeah, I'm bored!!

I plan to attach a metal rod, which also will serve as a handle for pulling out and dropping in the basket, in the middle of the basket. The rod will extend to just below the 2nd grate. The idea is that I will be able to tap the handle/rod with some tongs or whatever and shake any excess ash loose without having to kick the barrel if the temps begin to drop. What do you guys think?
How about a rod placed low in the drum, underneath the basket, extending outside the drum? Place a pivot point at the drum side, seal with a couple of washers. No needy to open drum lid...
Think trash can with flip lid, like you see at the Doctor's Office.

ASHKICKIN' MOD!!:biggrin:

I thought about the idea because I remember reading somewhere that shaking off extra ash was a problem. I won't know what this thing can do until I actually cook on it and finger out the subtle nuances of the UDS. If nothing else the long handle will make basket removal easier. I already have a shelf mod in mind.

Bubba--what are the dimensions of the wooden wheel base you made for the Spartan drum?

Is high temp paint necessary? I'm going with "sports" theme and want to know if they make high temp in colors other than black..........like red and white!! Also, will the porcelain on the lid take paint well?

How about a rod placed low in the drum, underneath the basket, extending outside the drum? Place a pivot point at the drum side, seal with a couple of washers. No needy to open drum lid...
Think trash can with flip lid, like you see at the Doctor's Office.

ASHKICKIN' MOD!!:biggrin:

I'm gonna come up with something. I also thought about a small chain or wire attached to the top of the handle and run horizontally through the drum.............a couple easy tugs on the wire would do the trick too and I wouldn't need to remove the lid.

I'm contemplating this basket design....

2291686563_7360755fbd.jpg

You guys like my Artist's Rendition? Yeah, I'm bored!!

I plan to attach a metal rod, which also will serve as a handle for pulling out and dropping in the basket, in the middle of the basket. The rod will extend to just below the 2nd grate. The idea is that I will be able to tap the handle/rod with some tongs or whatever and shake any excess ash loose without having to kick the barrel if the temps begin to drop. What do you guys think?
I have done the same thing!! I'll post a picture for you if ya like.

Just give the can a kick or two. All I ever needed to shake ash loose, even with Rancher!

Regarding different color high temp paint, I was in Northern Tool yesterday and they had spray cans of "Engine Enamel", advertised upto 500 degrees. Plenty of colors to choose from

I thought about the idea because I remember reading somewhere that shaking off extra ash was a problem. I won't know what this thing can do until I actually cook on it and finger out the subtle nuances of the UDS. If nothing else the long handle will make basket removal easier. I already have a shelf mod in mind.

Bubba--what are the dimensions of the wooden wheel base you made for the Spartan drum?

Is high temp paint necessary? I'm going with "sports" theme and want to know if they make high temp in colors other than black..........like red and white!! Also, will the porcelain on the lid take paint well?
Regular spray paint will work on the outside, as long as it's Black/Crimson.:rolleyes: Pretty sure the Red/White will burn.

The red and white's gonna be on FIRE!!:wink:
I hope to have the drum burned and ready to go this weekend. The basket still needs a couple hours worth of work on it though.

Back