View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
funugy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasket View Post
To answer every body, after I drop my coals in I leave the middle section off for a bout 10 minutes to let everything get going. I leave all my vents wide open till I start getting close to my target temp (275*), I then start shutting down 2 vents to about a 1/4 open. Top vent is always wide open. No water in the pan, just foiled. The temp on my digital which is at grate level, is reading 305*. My digital is accurate within +/- 2*.

Looks like your are over shooting your target temp then trying to lower it by choking down the fire, causing smoldering heavy white smoke.

I suggest you change your startup process. I would only light about 10-12 coals and then put them in your full unlit basket. Close all the doors and keep the lid on. Open all of the vents, both intake and exhaust and let it sit. It should take less than an hour to get up to temp and TBS. Start restricting in the intake air around 225*-230* little by little till you get to your target temp.

Good luck.

For now you are stuck with choking your current fire, causing heavy white smoke until it gets down to your target temp. Once it is there and can get enough air to maintain itself you should be able to get that TBS you are looking for.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->