UDS meets Weber

T

The Anchorman

Building a UDS and was wondering if any one has ever used an 18 inch weber base for the charcoal basket instead of building one. I have an old 18 inch Smokey Joe Platinum hanging around... Just thinking of re-purposing, not lazy just resourceful.

Thoughts?

It would probably work. Only problem I foresee is capacity. Were you planning on building up the sides a bit, to allow for more charcoal?

Matt

I think you will have low temp issues ( not getting enough air to the coals)

Geeze! Uds and Weber are nothing more than a larger and or more rounded version of the PBC. Except they came first... which really is irrelevant to the sequencing of the PBC as the inspiration to both the UDS and the Weber anything. Only idiots that think of time as a linear concept would fall into the myth that the UDS and Weber were here first... that and the people that think time only goes forward.... it of course goes reverse and inward to outward from both directions at once.

Geeze! Uds and Weber are nothing more than a larger and or more rounded version of the PBC. Except they came first... which really is irrelevant to the sequencing of the PBC as the inspiration to both the UDS and the Weber anything. Only idiots that think of time as a linear concept would fall into the myth that the UDS and Weber were here first... that and the people that think time only goes forward.... it of course goes reverse and inward to outward from both directions at once.

We need you to breathe in less white smoke and more of the thin blue stuff!!

:p

Yes it will work. It is what I have done. I had one that was useless because of misuse by the person I got it from. I cut the bottom of the base out below the charcoal grate supports, then I drilled a bunch of holes around the remaining base. I use the original charcoal grate and made an expanded metal ring to sit on top of that. I made some legs out of aluminum strapping and mounted it about 3 inches above a pizza pan to use as an ash catcher. Even with the metal handles still on it if fits exactly into my UDS.

Hope this helps,

Yes it will work. It is what I have done. I had one that was useless because of misuse by the person I got it from. I cut the bottom of the base out below the charcoal grate supports, then I drilled a bunch of holes around the remaining base. I use the original charcoal grate and made an expanded metal ring to sit on top of that. I made some legs out of aluminum strapping and mounted it about 3 inches above a pizza pan to use as an ash catcher. Even with the metal handles still on it if fits exactly into my UDS.

Hope this helps,

I did something very similar to this. it holds about 13lbs of fuel and will last about 15hrs at 250 degrees. I recently did a 13hr boston butt cook with it.

Just make sure you drill a bunch of 1/2" holes in it and you will be good to go

Back