Homemade Tasso and Pork Jambalaya

K-JUN

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This is not really Q, but it does incorporate some Homemade Tasso I did over the weekend.

When I broke down the butt for the Tasso I ended up with some small pieces so this is what I did with them. The large piece on the left was for the Tasso. The piece of fat was tossed, but the strip of meat was diced for the Jambalaya. The skin was diced and turned into cracklings. The other picks were taken along the way while I made the Jambalaya. I will put the recipe at the end in case anyone is interested.
Thanks for looking.

DSC01167.jpg

DSC01190.jpg

DSC01193.jpg

DSC01191.jpg

DSC01192-1.jpg

DSC01194.jpg

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

The method I use is to finish the cooking in the oven. The purists won’t like this, but it is easy to burn the bottom when you finish on the stove top. I have done it this way for years and it is so easy I wouldn’t do it any other way.

Cajun Pork Jambalaya

Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 lb. Pork diced
1/2 lb. pork tasso diced
1/2 lb. smoked sausage
2 med. onions diced
1 med green pepper diced
2 ribs celery diced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
7 cups beef stock (low sodium)*
1 Tbsp Tabasco*
1 Tbsp salt*
1tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp kitchen bouquet
3 cups raw long grain white rice

Sliced green onions for garnish

In a 6-8 qt. Heavy dutch oven with tight fitting lid, pour just enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pot, and heat to medium high. Once the oil is hot add the diced pork and brown well. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic mixing well. Cook about 15 minutes or untill the onions are transparent. Add the mushroom soup, beef stock, and remaining ingredients except the rice. Stir well and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Taste the liquid; it should be a little salty and peppery the rice will absorb some or the salty flavor. Add the rice and heat until it comes to a boil. Stir well to be sure no rice sticks on the bottom of the pot before you put it into the oven. Cover the pot and put into a 350* oven on the medium rack. Bake covered for 45 minutes. The finished product should have absorbed all the liquid but remain moist. Remove and let it rest for 10 minutes covered. Stir to mix with a folding action and garnish with the sliced onion tops.

*Notes:
*I used beef base and water in lieu of the stock, either one works fine.

*One important thing to note is if you choose this option omit the salt in the recipe because the base is very salty.

*I used Sriracha hot chili sauce instead of the Tabasco(again breaking tradition)because I love the stuff.

Thanks for looking.

Looks good from the other side of the state!

I'm digging the oven finish idea. That would be great for someone that wants to take a shot at making Jambalaya, but doesn't have a cast iron or other heavy pot.

Back