What did you have for breakfast today??

eap0510

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Since I had been having a crazing for biscuits and gravy I decided to make myself some this morning.

Ingredients:

1 lb. Jimmy Dean Hot pork breakfast sausage
4 tablespoons sweet butter
1 small onion chopped
2 tablespoons garlic minced
6 tablespoons flour
3 cups whole milk
1 chicken bouillon cubes -ground
1/4 teaspoon dry Thyme
1/8 teaspoon dry Sage
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
pepper

I fired up the smoker and brought it up to 235 and then through on my sausage. After the sausage has been in the smoker for about 30 minutes I made a foil boat to catch the grease. After the boat has accumulated about 2 tablespoons of grease I place sausage back on the grate and save the grease. To the grease I add 1/4 teaspoon cold bacon fat.

Here is what the sausage looked like when I pulled it off with an internal temperature of 170.

WP_000079.jpg

WP_000081.jpg

I cut the sausage in half and finely chopped one half and left the other half in chunks.

WP_000084.jpg

I Heated up a cast iron skillet on the stove for about 2 -3 minutes to get it hot over a medium-high heat. Added in the sausage grease and the bacon fat. Once the grease was hot I add in the my chopped onion. Cooking the onion until tender but not brown. Add in the minced garlic and continue to cook an additional minute or so.

WP_000085.jpg

After the onion and garlic had cooked I began to add in the flour a tablespoon at a time constantly stirring the mixture. Be sure not allow the flour burn you simply want to brown the flour.

WP_000087.jpg

Reduce heat to medium-low and begin adding slowly the milk about a half a cup at a time, constantly stirring the mixture. Once all the milk has been incorporated allow it to simmer for about 1 minute.

To the mixture add in the rest of the ingredients being sure to incorporate them fully into the mixture. Add black pepper to taste. Once all ingredients have been dissolved add in the smoked sausage. Turn down the heat to low and allow the entire mixture to cook for about 3 - 4 minutes. If mixture is to thick add some more milk to thin it out to desired consistence.

WP_000089.jpg

The end result was very nice. Since I had used apple wood to smoke the sausage the smoke flavor was not over powering at all. Here it is all put together.

WP_000093.jpg

WP_000092.jpg

-Eric

I wish I hadn't opened this. I had one scrambled egg, once piece of bacon, a piece of wheat toast and an apple. I would have much preferred to have had your breakfast! Biscuits and gravy get me all the way down to my soul! :hungry:

I did drink a pot of coffee though. :thumb:

I'm usually pretty dang good about what I eat these days, and I do allow for a little indulgence once in a while, so I'm gonna have to put biscuits & gravy on the radar soon. Thanks for posting! :clap2:

I had soup. Farking chicken soup. I wanted biscuits and gravy like that. All I had was farking soup.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I had pan fried "crispy crowns" (flat tater tots) and 3 fried eggs....a couple ladles of that gravy would have been AWESOME!!

Son slept late....woke up starving.

Some JD Sage sausage with a little Don's Seasoning Delight in the skillet, too. Smells great but tastes better.

20130216_122454_zpsd77665a2.jpg

20130216_124055_zpsb7fa6d41.jpg

I do like a good plate of biscuits and gravy. But, it is hard to find. I've eaten a lot more bad sausage gravy than good sausage gravy.

Yours looks pretty good. :thumb:

CD

Made some fatties with the nice fatty burger I have from a side of beef. Used Aldo's Wild Game Salami One Hour Spice mix rubbed with Simply Marvelous Cherry. No biscuits and gravy, but still tasty.

Back