UDS temp spikes

jorrflv

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
On my UDS, every once in a while I get these major 50 deg temp spikes. I will be cruzing along for an hour or more at 225-250 then all of a sudden it will freak out and spike to 300+. Could this happen when it hits a wood chunk that has yet to be lit?

It has happened with pure blue bag and pure royal oak so not sure that it is the brand of charcoal.

when you usually notice it, has it been a while since you've opened the lid sometimes the extra will take a few min to spike, but in general, i've never had this issue. what are you using to measure the temp? i may not notice since i quit using the maverick in there and the turkey thermo is pretty slow ;)

I have the iGrill which gives me real time graph temp readout so I notice these things. I never have to open my lid.

How far into the cook does this happen and is it fairly consistent? Many things can cause this from wind to sun/shade to the setup of your UDS to the meat breaking down and dripping more. If it is a major issue then try to minimize the variables and determine the few things that are changing when the temp spikes.

The only times my temp might shoot up is when I pull the lid. But once I put the lid back on, it settles back to where it was. It never just shoots up like that on its own though.

It cold be unburned wood igniting or dripping grease. I cook at 300 to me that is a good thing.

Back