• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

SJ Platinum really coming back!?!?

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I just ordered a cooking grate for a SJP, and the customer service agent said that Weber was bringing back the SJ Platinum. I've heard rumors before, but not from a Weber employee. I hope she is right.

CD

If so, I just may treat myself to one!

yep, its been posted several places. several folks say they have gotten theirs already. so yes, its true. it no longer has the side vents, has a bottom vent like the sj.

yep, its been posted several places. several folks say they have gotten theirs already. so yes, its true. it no longer has the side vents, has a bottom vent like the sj.

Sorry to hear about the vents. The whole idea, to me, is to have an 18-inch Weber kettle that travels.

I guess the lid hold-down loop is gone, too? If they keep that feature, it could still travel.

CD

Sorry to hear about the vents. The whole idea, to me, is to have an 18-inch Weber kettle that travels.

I guess the lid hold-down loop is gone, too? If they keep that feature, it could still travel.

CD

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1211001-Jumbo-Charcoal-18-Inch/dp/B0098HR0RC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352242535&sr=8-1&keywords=jumbo+joe"]Lid loop is still there[/ame]. I'm thinking of getting one, and the 18.5 WSM stacker and then drilling side vent holes and using the vent covers off my SJG, and having a TRULY versatile cooker. Side vents for low, slow smoking, bottom vent for hot and fast grilling.

Four or five years ago I picked up the last SJP that our hardware store had for a Christmas gift for myself... They had it marked down to $39.99 since it was the "end of the season", and I loved it so much I wanted another and found out they quit making them. Gonna have to get another one for my wife for Christmas now :becky:

I wonder of the new ones will use the same 17-1/2 grates from the other 18.5 grills and smokers, or an odd size like the old Jumbo Joes (17-7/8)?

It says is has an 18.5 inch grate, which should mean it fits an 18.5 grill, not that the grate is 18.5 inches.

CD

Woo-Hoo!! Me likey!

Of course, since I have a cajun bandit modded 22.5, I essentially have a 22.5 SJ anyways... heavy sumbiscuit tho...

Now if they would just start making a 26.75 platinum or performer... :shock:

The SJP/Jumbo Joe cook grates are slightly larger than the 18.5" kettle grates-

don't ask me how I know this?

Back