Smoking naked foods w pron

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've been playing around with smoking naked foods with minimal prep lately to see just how good things can taste without rubs, sauce, or exotic preparations. We are only using smoke for the flavor. So far my wife and I have been pleased with the results and plan to continue this trend.

This week I tried 3 pork chops because they were on sale for $3 , and 4 humungus skinless boneless chicken breasts because they were on sale for $6, and I'm trying to eat more healthy. I made a simple brine(water,sugar,salt) and soaked everything in the fridge for about 4 hours because I was concerned the chicken would dry out.

I set the IQ110 for 225 with two small pieces of apple and one small piece of hickory on the fire and apple juice in the pan.

Everything tasted great and was moist and juicy. Chicken meat comes out great
At 225, and contrary to what some say it did not dry out.

Pork chops (we ate the third one while taking the photo)
405bcf7d0ab4119e8baf90af0ff4c316.jpg

Chicken breast, man was it good.
7a5f87aa404aff231da08dcbf9de420a.jpg

I know my hands were filthy. I was working in the shop when the bell rang and only gave them a quick wash.
2f0e521b40ba86c785324ca6afac64f7.jpg

e31fc586aa17511095e2ed40948a3058.jpg

I will probably make it this way from now on with some sort of glaze, or lemon rosemary thing, near the end to make it shine when company is over.

Give naked food a try, you may like it.

Chris

Great pron , there is something to be said for the taste of hard work along with great food!
Did you cook for x time or to x IT?

Great pron , there is something to be said for the taste of hard work along with great food!
Did you cook for x time or to x IT?

Internal temp 165 for both.

No hard work at all, cooking naked with a temp controller is as easy as it gets. I set everything up with my IQ110 and went about my business until the temp alarm went off. Hell, I washed my cars, played with my dogs, took a bike ride, and tinkered in my shop while the IQ110 held the temps for me. did i mention that i love my IQ110!!! When the temp alarm went off, I washed my hands and pulled the meat off and ate.

From this experiment, so far I learned to cut back on the smoke wood for chicken. Last weekend I put way too much smoke flavor into the meat. Sauce made it taste good, but when naked the smoke was overpowering for my taste.

Chris

I did a butt naked once. The meat inside was fine but the bark (or lack thereof) was kinda blah... Probably better to do quick cooks naked.

I did a butt naked once but the neighbors complained and the cops made me put pants on.... :heh:

While I think this is a good thing to go back to from time to time, and those look good (although brining is messing with it too, thus not truly naked) I like to mess with my food a bit more.

My argument is that once you add salt and sugar (two of the four spices wars have been fought over) you are already making altered food.

Back