View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #9447
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

So, I've read most of the bazillion posts over the past year and rather than going back through all of them to answer my question/idea I'll ask it here. I have the drum & I'm slowly making progress on the design and accumulation of "stuff" to finish it. I got a 22.5" donor grill (Char-Broil I think) and will need to add the 2" aluminum bar to the inside of the top of the drum for the lid to fit.

I don't relish the idea of leaning inside of that thing to clean the bottom. An ash pan will only catch so much and I want easy access. SO! Here's my question/idea. Cut the drum into two halves at ~2" above the fire basket height and add 2" aluminum bar around the outside perimeter of the bottom section so the top section will slide inside of it. If you can picture it the top and bottom will meet at the middle of the 2" aluminum bar and rest on each other. The aluminum bar will serve as a seal and a guide, and will hold it all together. I might also add 2-3 clasps to hold it all together. Has anyone done this and if so what was your result? Cheers!!!