100 mouths, about how many butts?

Grafixgibbs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been requested to cook for a cousins wedding and she wants BBQ . Just pulled pork so I'm trying to figure out how many butts I need to cook to feed about 100 people. I'm thinking a case should cover it, but wanted advice from the experts.

I will also be cooking baked beans and probably something else.

Yes 8 - 8lb butts will yield you about 42 to 46 lbs of cooked pork. That should give you some for the beans too. Cole slaw and corn bread should round out the menu.

It is all dependent on serving size. At 4 oz/serving that is 4 servings/cooked pound. I always calculate 50% yield to avoid problems that may result from over portioning. 100 mouths*4oz=400 cooked ounces*2=800 raw oz/16=50 raw lbs. So one case will do a 100 4oz servings. Adjust to your serving size.

55# uncooked pork butts will be enough for 100, 4oz portions (which are larger size portions). If there is a question as to if some people will take two sandwiches, I would bump it to 60#.

Thanks y'all. its a mixed crowd of adults and kids mainly kids though. If there are lots of teenage boys I'll need to triple the weight. :wink:

I just did a bbq judging seminar for 102 (there were probably more like 110-115) and I cooked 12 butts. I had a little over a small pan full left over. Mostly men though. I had thought 10 would have been enough but I'm glad I cooked the extra two.

I've been requested to cook for a cousins wedding and she wants BBQ . Just pulled pork so I'm trying to figure out how many butts I need to cook to feed about 100 people. I'm thinking a case should cover it, but wanted advice from the experts.

I will also be cooking baked beans and probably something else.

Depending on the group I try to plan for 1/2 lb to 3/4 lb of cooked meat per person when I cater. I do a lot of construction jobsites (mostly hungry men) and typically have food leftover when I do 3/4 lb pp...

I never want to run out of food... If it's friends and family (like a wedding), always cook extra! Don't forget that sides are inexpensive, easy, and fill up the plate and the belly - coleslaw, potato salad, beans, pickles, chips, rolls or buns...

Godspeed and have fun!
Toad

"100 mouths, about how many butts? "

Unless there is someone very unusual in the crowd I would say 100 butts also!

"100 mouths, about how many butts? "

Unless there is someone very unusual in the crowd I would say 100 butts also!

I gots me some special relatives.

My cousin has asked me to only do butts and beans. I'm thinking she is having other friends bring some sides.

So I figure 4 large cans of beans (117oz) and a case +2 butts should cover it. hmmm might have to borrow a friends cooker to do this.

Just little FYI. When I do a catering job of any size, I write down exactly what i prepared and when it is over, I write down exactly what is left. I also record the number and type of guest being served. This really helps with future planning.

Also consider whether it will be served by someone, or will people self-serve. That can make a big difference!

Back