• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Suckling Pig on XL BGE Help??

C

ColoradoGuy

Well, this is quite a way to make my first post here---needing advice.

I have an XL BGE that I obtained about 3 months ago. It has been great fun and I've learned quite a bit using it. I read somewhere that the XL is perfect for a 35-40# suckling pig. Since I'm a pig virgin, a Cajun buddy of mine is going to help me with the roast. HOWEVER, he has no experience with a BGE.

I read 2 separate recipes, one stating 8 hours, the other 18 hours. I severely need guidance so I don't loose my reputation for being a fairly good cook. I am even unsure of the cooking temperature.

Are there any of you much more experienced brothers and sisters that could shed some light on this conundrum for me? Your input would be greatly appreciated, and I'll even send you an invitation!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jim

Thanks

Hoss,

This is greatly appreciated. 325 certainly doesn't seem "low and slow" to me. This will help greatly. My Cajun friend injects his pig with marinade, so look for some response addressing this, too.

Many thanks. If you want to come to Colorado for some pig, let me know!:thumb:

Jim

In Spain they cook these in a wood-burning oven in clay casserole pans (sometimes whole, sometimes cut in quarters). These are some small ones I happened to take pics of.

IMG_6559.jpg

When I've checked the temps, they've generally been around 350*. The results are mouth-watering. They are juicy and oftentimes they cut them up with the side of a plate to show how tender they are.

IMG_6627.jpg

I believe the preparation is extremely simple, just salt. I don't think the cooking time is more than a few hours. This is not exactly what you have in mind, but it is on my to-do list for my Primo.

Thanks John,
That first link is exactly what I am describing. Segovia, Spain is THE place to get roast suckling pig. Ask any Spaniard where to get suckling pig and they will say Segovia. I personally know people who have driven hundreds of miles just to go there for it. While the Meson de Candido is famous for it, many Spaniards prefer the "Jose Maria" tucked around the corner. It is truly amazing. My eldest was not even one year old at the time and when they brought out the pig, she kept pointing and saying, "dog!" as "pig" was not yet in her vocabulary. While eating it she kept saying, "mmmmm, dog!" The pics above were taken at other restaurants.

Thanks

Gore,
Those pictures are mouth watering! Thanks for the info. I'll report back as to what method, and the outcome!

Jim

More Thanks

John,

I am salivating awaiting my maiden voyage with pig and egg!

Thanks so much for the tips!

Jim

Back