• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Judging Brisket

warren.miller

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am trying to hone my skills in brisket this winter.

What exactly are the judges looking for?

Do you get the burnt ends from the point? Or the left over flat?

Thanks

I am trying to hone my skills in brisket this winter.

What exactly are the judges looking for?

Do you get the burnt ends from the point? Or the left over flat?

Thanks
First of all, we use the point for our burnt ends. It just has more fat to make the flavor really drive through.

As for what the judges are looking for, there are three things, Appearance, Taste, and Tenderness. It's kind of hard to describe in a simple post such as this, I would really look for a CBJ class to really get the low down.

Appearance:
You can look around here and find a number of boxes that others have asked to be reviewed... It's a start.

Taste:
This is really the tough one. You need to find a flavor profile that comes across quickly. Remember, they are only going to take one maybe (if you're lucky) two bites so it really has to be right there.

Tenderness:
You should be able to pull a 1/4" slice (about the width of a #2 pencil) with ease but on the other hand it shouldn't fall apart on you.

I hope this helps...

I think you meant to say the slices were from the flat...

that looks FABulous!!!

I could be wrong. I probably am but, didn't look like Barb took the slices from the point. It looked like the point was upside and she was taking slices out of that???

Thank for the posts guys.

It looks to me like she was cutting the part of the brisket flat that is located under the point. That was sure a fine looking brisket, all I could think of is that my brisket sure doesn't cut like that.

I like burnt ends/brisket chunks from the point more so than from the flat.

One tip I can offer: In my experience, KCBS judges will mark you down if you turn in true burnt ends, i.e dark and crispy. Cubed point is a more accurate description of what usually passes for BE at a judging table.

Of course my experience is limited to the SouthEast, so YMMV.

Good question with some good advice and answers already. Divemaster has a lot of good information in just a few sentences.
Taking CBJ class is a great idea. Jacked Up's pix of his turnin box is a good example of great appearance. Looks like 9's to me.
Cubed point added to sliced flat is a good idea. Judges are to take both and taste both.
I sure appreciate some of both.
The thing I would say about taste is that brisket is beef and it should taste like beef,
right up front. Juicy beefiness will go a long way in the taste department.
Tenderness- I have great admiration for cooks who can make brisket that pulls apart
easy without falling apart, and is juicy without being mushy.
Practice is important.
Not only becoming a CBJ, but actually doing some judging to experience a variety of
brisket made by others may give you some insight and inspiration of what to shoot for.
Good luck.

Personally, I think there's too much variance in opinions about what is a "9" in any category (taste, tenderness, appearance) even among CBJs to really answer this question.

For instance, this box scored straight 9s on appearance earlier this year:
2010CookoffKickoffBrisket.jpg

There's no way I'd have scored that a 9. The slices are ragged, the sauce is gloppy, and it's smeared on the box. I was appreciative and glad they did what they were supposed to and only judged the meat and not the messed up tangle of parsley that brackets it, but still, IMHO, this was NOT a 9 appearance box.:confused:

As for taste and tenderness, it was bland but juicy and slightly overcooked. All-in-all, not a great showing.:roll:

I just put it in here to point out that one man's ugly is another man's pretty. Same goes with flavor profiles. Even among CBJs.

Great input,

Do you guys think just slices or burnt ends and slices? Do you do 1in cubes?
It looked like barb was cutting the fat off of the slices before turn in. Did you guys see this?

Thanks

Great input,

Do you guys think just slices or burnt ends and slices? Do you do 1in cubes?
It looked like barb was cutting the fat off of the slices before turn in. Did you guys see this?

Thanks

Do you like to eat fat? I always cut it off mine...See folks turn it in that way all the time and I am told to eat the meat as presented, so I take a bite with fat, room temperature brisket with a nice bit of fat, well lets just say none have ever gotten a 9 from me for taste...

I do like to eat a little fat. (especially Brisket) But that is just me. I understand if other people don't.

I will definitely will cut the fat off before turn in.

Do you like to eat fat? I always cut it off mine...See folks turn it in that way all the time and I am told to eat the meat as presented, so I take a bite with fat, room temperature brisket with a nice bit of fat, well lets just say none have ever gotten a 9 from me for taste...
I actually cook mine with the fat and then remove it just prior to saucing..

I do like to eat a little fat. (especially Brisket) But that is just me. I understand if other people don't.

I will definitely will cut the fat off before turn in.
Remember that the entry could be in the box for up to 20 minutes depending on the size of the comp. That fat is going to be room-temp at best, or even cold depending on the temp of your greens...

Personally, I think there's too much variance in opinions about what is a "9" in any category (taste, tenderness, appearance) even among CBJs to really answer this question.

For instance, this box scored straight 9s on appearance earlier this year:

There's no way I'd have scored that a 9. The slices are ragged, the sauce is gloppy, and it's smeared on the box. I was appreciative and glad they did what they were supposed to and only judged the meat and not the messed up tangle of parsley that brackets it, but still, IMHO, this was NOT a 9 appearance box.:confused:

As for taste and tenderness, it was bland but juicy and slightly overcooked. All-in-all, not a great showing.:roll:

I just put it in here to point out that one man's ugly is another man's pretty. Same goes with flavor profiles. Even among CBJs.
I can tell you that the judges are not sitting there peering at the greenery with their levels and protractors out to make sure that everything is perfectly aligned and trimmed. Judges also understand that a lot can and does happen to entries on their way to the table that is out of the control of the cooks, so most judges do not count down for a little smear of sauce on the box or the pieces being just slightly out of alignment.

What judges DO (or should) ask themselves is: How much does the appearance of this entry make me want to eat it? If the meat looks delicious, then it will score well.

On the other hand, if the overall appearance says that the cook didn't give a hoot about at least attempting to make a good presentation - just slopped the meat in there any way that it happened to land, etc. - now that definitely counts down an entry. Effort counts!

Or at least that has been my experience - your experience may be different.

I hope this helps -

I turn in just slices I was doing slices and pulled at the first of the year, I was getting calls but not in the top 5 I went to slices only more than 6 if I can make them pretty. I only carve the hard fat off before cooking fat is flavor let it sit chilled all night with the rub on it smoke it,slice it and soak it in its own juices.. Beef should not be sauced in my opinion I dont put A-1 on my steak If its done properly my brisket dont need it either

Appearance: If that display makes me want to rip the box from the TC's hands & dig right in then you get a 9. I try my best not to pay attention to the garnish or the "smoke ring" ..... they're not supposed to count. But I do want to see the color of the meat, not just the bark, and please don't drowned it in sauce (makes me wonder what you're covering up).

Taste: I want it to be juicy and taste like brisket - not like a farkin' pot roast.

Tenderness: That's been covered pretty well above.

All in all I want to see that you built that box with care and pride. I want to taste the product that you prepared with care and pride. If you don't put the care into it, if you don't have any real pride in your entry, then that will come through in the looks and taste of the brisket.

As always - IMHO / YMMV
;>)

Back