• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Whiskey Barrel Smoker

Was eager...so installed the gas burner and did the first smoke with some chicken breast! It worked great....ez to reach 250 (about 10 minutes) and with 3 chunks of hickory it SMOKED GREAT!!! eager to do ribs and butts now.
http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/ad358/midwestcreditcare/barrel smoker project/

000_2220.jpg

000_2222.jpg

000_2212.jpg

000_2219.jpg

click here to see all pics: http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/ad358/midwestcreditcare/barrel%20smoker%20project/

gas.jpg

gas3.jpg

gas2.jpg

here is the assembly in smoker. Very simple--burner is mounted in a stainless steel pan. Heat rises, so the pan will not affect the wood. I will put 'L' brackets in the burner pan, which will hold the wood pan. The wood pan will have a lid with holes drilled in it. I was very happy with this, because the wood began smoking right away and continued to have strong smoke all the way through. When the smoker cooled, I removed the wood chunk pan and they were hardly used!!! The great thing about this barrel is the temperature hold. The 1" oak is great insulation. When at 300, you can touch it and its cool. It retains heat very well.

nice I did a grill with one of my wine barrrels I didnt screw the bottom rings and now they have dropped so I have to drive them back into position I just droped the bottom of a 22.5 grill into mine needed something for the deck I got enough smokers. I would like to see a picture of the hinge you used

hinge

Cool! I have 2 grates in this and want to use for grill or smoker. Using the bottom of a kettle is a great idea! You can use many different hinges. I chose to use a big t-hinge and use it verticle. The triangle side goes on the lid, the rectangle section on the body...right at the cut. Seems to hold up well. some dont use hinges and just lift off the lid, but I like the hinge and chain much better.
thinge.jpg

I thought of the PVC. trying to figure out how to do a 'rain cap'. I was thinking galv pipe and then using a 90 degree elbow

When mine is not in use, i just put a plastic cap off a spray paint can on it. I keep mine under carport on my shop, so rain is not an issue.

yeah i am just lifting mine off now. I left the bung hole for ventilation and I cut a hole the same diamiter in the top. most people who come over dont notice its a grill till they ask were we are gonna cook!

How about a something like a clay pot in the bottom and you can use briquettes or lump?

smoker

Yes, you can use a clay pot! I have heard, because of the wood insulation, that a bucket of charcoal/lump/wood will burn at 220-250 for 3-4+ hours. You can regulate the temp with air vents allowing O2 inside. With right outside condition, pot size, may get more burn time than that.

I decided to make mine gas, because of ease of use, mess etc.

lol, I bet they are shocked you can cook in wood! That is the funny part---many think it will burn if you make it a smoker/grill. Common sense...keep away from house/structure and monitor it. A regular grill/smoker can start on fire too. These barrels just look so much better than cold metal....

That is a very nice piece of BBQ Sculpture! I'm so jealous!!
:thumb::thumb:

Canadian Bacon did one and there is 4 pages on the smoke ring. They sure are awesome looking smokers and probably well worth the time.

Question: I will be getting some Jack Daniel's branded barrels. I was thinking of finishing in to a golden oak color and making some propane smokers with electronic start, like I did with this old barrel. When finished what do you think I could sell it for (price range)? Any ideas, comments etc would be appreciated.

I thought the same thing when I did my wine barrel, then I started thinking about a customers house burning down because they did something stupid and they start looking at who to blame. Liability would be the biggest hurdle. Get a good lawyer on retainer.

Nice barrel btw.

Back