Brisket for local comps....

M

Metalbender

What grade brisket are you using for local comps???? Prime, Choice, Select.....?

Wow you guys are cooking super high dollar briskets for local comps....
What are you paying for kobe/waygu briskets???

Been using primes but thinking (or wishing?) of moving a step up. I got a quote of $4 per pound for Waygu. Guess I could drop back and only cook one instead of two and just make it a top of the line piece o' meat. A 16 pounder would cost as much as two choices and maybe two smaller primes.

What is your budget?

If you are in Tacoma, maybe you should look up Kapowsin Meats and see what they have to offer. Didn't you take an Apple Creek Timber Inc. class? I've heard nothing but good things about Kapowsin Meats, but you may have to buy case lots to get a deal.
Cash&Carry sometimes has Choice, but mostly they carry Select. I don't shop at Sam's, but hear they carry Choice. Costco has Choice flats and a lot of people do well with them. Restaurant Depot has CAB Choice also. I used to get Wal-Mart Select packers when I first started competing and got a 2nd Place with one.

Wagyu runs @ $4.99 lb retail but case price can knock them down to @ $2.99 lb
Got deep pockets?

Everyone says Wagyu from the Pitmasters show. But they are not magic. They don't just win because you spent all that money on them. They also taste different.

But ultimately, if you can't cook a brisket, you should not buy a Wagyu. Concentrate on how to properly cook a brisket. If you can't score with a choice, you won't score with a Wagyu.

As for me, I'll stick with my CAB's and still do all right. And still have more money in my pocket for not wasting it on a Wagyu.

Oh, I also have a good deal on some muffin pans that don't do a damn thing for chicken either. If you don't believe it... Go look at the results.

What is your budget?

If you are in Tacoma, maybe you should look up Kapowsin Meats and see what they have to offer. Didn't you take an Apple Creek Timber Inc. class? I've heard nothing but good things about Kapowsin Meats, but you may have to buy case lots to get a deal.
Cash&Carry sometimes has Choice, but mostly they carry Select. I don't shop at Sam's, but hear they carry Choice. Costco has Choice flats and a lot of people do well with them. Restaurant Depot has CAB Choice also. I used to get Wal-Mart Select packers when I first started competing and got a 2nd Place with one.

Wagyu runs @ $4.99 lb retail but case price can knock them down to @ $2.99 lb
Got deep pockets?

I was just curious what most guys were buying for local comps when no real money for prizes is involved, I have never even seen a prime or wagyu brisket for sale

Sams will sometimes get in prime flats and mark them as choice. Look at the packer band and if it is purple, its prime and will also state. Get to know the guys in the meat department and they will give you a heads up. All of the full briskets at Sams are choice or better.

Restaurant Depot carries CAB choice and there are usually enough out to sort through to find good flat sections. If not, ask if they have more in the back. Took an 8th with one at Great Bend and that was some tough competition.

Sams will sometimes get in prime flats and mark them as choice. Look at the packer band and if it is purple, its prime and will also state. Get to know the guys in the meat department and they will give you a heads up. All of the full briskets at Sams are choice or better. That depends on the distribution center for each Sam's. Our Sam's only carries choice flats. All the packers are select.

Restaurant Depot carries CAB choice and there are usually enough out to sort through to find good flat sections. If not, ask if they have more in the back. Took an 8th with one at Great Bend and that was some tough competition.

See what a good healthy dose of grits 'll do for a man.

I also agree with Scottie.

Everyone says Wagyu from the Pitmasters show. But they are not magic. They don't just win because you spent all that money on them. They also taste different.

But ultimately, if you can't cook a brisket, you should not buy a Wagyu. Concentrate on how to properly cook a brisket. If you can't score with a choice, you won't score with a Wagyu.

As for me, I'll stick with my CAB's and still do all right. And still have more money in my pocket for not wasting it on a Wagyu.

Oh, I also have a good deal on some muffin pans that don't do a damn thing for chicken either. If you don't believe it... Go look at the results.

i agree totally. i thought choice at my local meat shop was splurging at 3.49 a pound

Don't think that Select grade doesn't have the ability to be a winner. I have had calls with Select grade meat. I have a 1st place at the Missouri State Fair with a Select grade brisket. It was one of the best briskets I have ever cooked.
I agree with Scottie. You can get the best quality piece of meat and still make it a bad one. Learning how to cook a brisket is where the pay-off is.

We get called with RD, CAB. . Until you have established a consistent method of cooking a brisket and are happy with the re$ult$, I wouldn't waste money Wagyu
Scottie summed it up nicely

Back