View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

Default prime rib plan of attack for Christmas Suggestions strongly encouraged

I am going to do my first rib roast for Christmas dinner and I wanted to see what you all thought of my plan for cooking this beautiful piece of meat. Any feedback would be appreciated and PRON will be plentiful once I get started on this bad boy tomorrow.

here are the steps I am planning on taking.
1. cook prime rib following this recipe from TVWB.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast2.html

Basically Season the roast with worstecire sauce and weber brand montreal steak seasoning the night before. Christmas morning I will get the smoker to 325-350 at the vent and cook for 20-30 minutes a lb until internal temp hits 125. Once it hits 125 I will pull from the cooker and tent in foil until chow time. I plan to use one chunk of pecan and one chunk of apple for the smoke wood

As there are several people that will want theirs medium this should work for them to eat the ends and those of us that actually like beef can eat the center slices. I have 5.5 lbs for 4 people so I thought there would be plenty of leftovers.

I am going to make the au jus from a packet and combine it with any drippings I get from the tenting process also would it be good to cook the roast in a pan in the smoker to retain more of the juices?
bobaftt is offline   Reply With Quote