New offset build started ( With Pics)

Knucklehed,

This is one of those "I have it all figured out in my head kind of things" I'm an engineer ( well almost, have 4 more stupid classes to go, all of the important stuff out of the way.) I'm always looking for ways to make things better. I started out by drawing a set of plans, but those have gone out the window. I'm using the excel spreadsheet that is floating around the internet to do my basic sizes and area calcs, but other than that I'm flying by the seat of my pants. It's more exciting that way.

Knucklehed,

This is one of those "I have it all figured out in my head kind of things" I'm an engineer ( well almost, have 4 more stupid classes to go, all of the important stuff out of the way.) I'm always looking for ways to make things better. I started out by drawing a set of plans, but those have gone out the window. I'm using the excel spreadsheet that is floating around the internet to do my basic sizes and area calcs, but other than that I'm flying by the seat of my pants. It's more exciting that way.

Hellz yeah it's more exciting that way!
'scuse the ignorance but uhh, which excel sheet ya' talking about?

I'm interested in starting something new I prolly wont finish just to give my wife something else to complain about... smoker sounds like just the ticket! :wink:

Last edited:
I take it in order to build one you have to have a plasma cutter and some good equipment. Right??

Good luck. Looks like it will produce some serious eats and Q

I take it in order to build one you have to have a plasma cutter and some good equipment. Right??

Good luck. Looks like it will produce some serious eats and Q

First and foremost.... Skill.

Looks Good, what type hinges did you use on the doors?

You should do something with those galvanized fenders to cook on them. Nothing like a chicken cooked on a galvanized skillet!

MSG

LT7, I have an oxy/acetylene rig, a mig, stick welder, grinders ( handheld and bench mount) whiz wheel, and a large assortment of hand tools. I would love a plasma, but just can't justify the cost right now.

Jacob - I made the hinges out of 3/4 black pipe, and 5/8 solid rod. Filed the weld out of the inside of the pipe, and used a grinder to take a little off of the steel rod till I had a good fit. Time consuming, but cheap and durable.

SmokinTurkey, I had planned to flip the fenders upside down and install burners under them for side dishes :cool:

I believe it was knucklehead who asked about the excel spreadsheet, its floating around the internet, no idea who actually made it anymore, but you plug in the size of you chamber, and it gives you firebox dimensions, firebox to chamber openings, reverse flow size, chimney size etc. I may have lost it last night when I upgraded my computer to Win 7, but I'll find it and post it here if anyone wants it. I got it from a post either here or elsewhere, can't remember anymore.

Progress is still slow, but at least I'm making some progress. I'm about out of steel at this point, waiting for another quote before making the purchase. So far I have a quote for $0.20/lb which is great, but its a 6 hour round trip to pick it up, so I'm still looking at some more local sources.

I have the door trim on, the handle in place, door stops welded on, and the center channel for the baffle in place and tacked.

Attachments

• 100_0250.jpg
    100_0250.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 829
  • 100_0251.jpg
    100_0251.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 827
  • 100_0252.jpg
    100_0252.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 824
  • 100_0256.jpg
    100_0256.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 821
  • 100_0257.jpg
    100_0257.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 827
Looks good, really nice work,,,
Im building one right now, I'm amazed at how much work goes into a builds like this,,,
Puddle

Just a quick word of advice on this build is keep an eye on your axe and spring weights. We all want a pit but we also want it to be safe especially if you are planning to actually tow this on the road. I can see in your posted pictures that your leaf springs are squashed flat and your firebox is not mounted yet or your end cap stacks or grates let alone any small parts you install you are looking at a minimum of 200+ lbs. before you get wood on there. I say this because I've seen the effects of overloading a trailer in tow and it's not pretty.

I would seriously have it inspected by a trailer mechanic before taking it on the road. Just my $.02. Now carry on!

Back