Anything but completion (ground beef)

Wood Fire Steel

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We are doing a comp later this summer and the anything but competition meat is ground beef. Being that we have a couple other crew members at this cook we are considering enter the side contest. Any ideas out there for a ground beef anything but dish. Thanks in advance.

How about moink balls? You can class up the meatball, use top quality bacon, and do a bbq sauce that’s kind of glazey to give it a great appearance. I would go with something along the lines of a blueberry adobo bbq sauce to really tie the beef and pork together.

Ground beef enchiladas.
Are you any good at elevating a burger? stuffed with something that'll blow them away.
mini shepards pie. cook them in a muffin tin lined with bacon
Chili? Make a bomb chili over a nice hot dog.
stuffed moink balls

Not a suggestion for a entry, but if I were you I'd grind my own instead of buying at the store. You can usually get beef fat from the grocery meat counter for free (they just throw it out when they trim roasts) if you talk to your local guy (that's how I get most of my fat when I process venison).

Pick a really nice cut, grind it yourself and add as much fat to your grind as you want. Then go from there.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have thought of enchiladas and shepherds pies. Burgers and chili are good, but just looking for something different for the wow. Unfortunately we have to use the beef they supply so no fancy grinds or super premium meats.

Have you seen the actual rules for the anything but category? Sometimes the organizers are way less restrictive with the rules, such as allowing different garnishes or allowing cheese, bread or even toothpicks to hold your creation together.

One of the best anything but boxes that featured beef that I've judged was nachos. But not the pile of chips with a gloppy topping.... individual ones. I'm almost positive they (coarse) ground some beef tenderloin, and they used a cookie cutter to down size tortillas so 6 nachos fit into the box. They had sort of an enchilada sauce on the bottom, then the seasoned beef, then a pico de gallo style of salsa, and a dab of Mexi Crema on top. Being mindful of the fact some judges don't like spicy food, the sauce and the pico were flavorful, just not hot. The pico had a nice crunch for texture.

Thanks for the suggestion. The rules are very lax. I can turn in my entry in anything other than stemware or easily toppled containers. Just have to contain the ground beef they supply. The presentation supposedly does not count, but we know how that goes..

Thanks for the suggestion. The rules are very lax. I can turn in my entry in anything other than stemware or easily toppled containers. Just have to contain the ground beef they supply. The presentation supposedly does not count, but we know how that goes..

If they specifically stipulated only using their provided meat, the organizers must have payed attention to the rules..., clause 7 states "When the contest organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required to enter only that meat, the single exception is when an organizer provides all four (4) meats."

Back