Whole hog pit size

bkvanbek

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a new smoker pit. I will likely have to travel to get one, here in MN a good pit is hard to find. I like the "T" from Johnson Smokers. But how big of pig can I do on how big of pit?

There's a lot of answers to that. Can do a suckling pig in an oven. I'd figure out the size smoker you want and call your butcher and ask him the length and width of various pigs.

I think it really depends on the size of the pig and the pit. I did a 50 lb pig on my pit and had plenty of room left. My pits bottom rack was about 80" by 30" wide. If you plan to cook pigs, I would not buy anything shorter than 5' by 30" wide. That's just my opinion. Hope that helps.

One of the best pig cookers made.

Alveron out of South Carolina

Last edited:
Looking at the "T", it looks like the doors may be too small for a larger hog. In one picture the racks are split between the doors. This may make it more difficult to move the hog.

I have a Good One T-60. It has room to cook 2 hogs. The bar in the middle lifts out of the way and the racks are a full 60"x28". I may be selling it this spring. If you would be interested in a used smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_0022_2.jpg
    IMG_0022_2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 103
My pit is 40 x 60 and I can easily put a 100# with the back split. That is the biggest I've done.

I have a 20x50 Klose BYC and the biggest I can fit is a 70# pig racer style. You may want to think about whether you want to cook them racer style, butterflied, offset, over direct heat, etc.

What is "racer style"?

I like Johnson's new 30" T, but the grill looks like it is at chest height!

Z
racer style.jpg

That's racer style

Back