Assassin 28....picked it up yesterday!

Thanks for the pictures of the finished product. Your ribs look awesome. I haven't used lump in my Assassin yet. I'll have to give it a try.

You are right about the exterior of the smoker staying fairly cool. But you definitely need gloves to mess with the fire box area. The Assassin does a great job and is made well.

Thanks for the pictures of the finished product. Your ribs look awesome. I haven't used lump in my Assassin yet. I'll have to give it a try.

You are right about the exterior of the smoker staying fairly cool. But you definitely need gloves to mess with the fire box area. The Assassin does a great job and is made well.

It worked really well.

Great looking ribs!

I'm only using Royal Oak lump in my Assassin, and it does seem to get to temp (250) in about an hour.

Great looking ribs!

I'm only using Royal Oak lump in my Assassin, and it does seem to get to temp (250) in about an hour.

I threw a little in the weber chimney and torched it with my larger weed burner, it got to 275 in 30ish. Works out well for me.

Also thanks for the thumbs up. They tasted great.

I need to get one of those big weed burners. I'm just using a little hand torch. It does take a few minutes, and I'm burning through those small propane canisters.

I need to get one of those big weed burners. I'm just using a little hand torch. It does take a few minutes, and I'm burning through those small propane canisters.

Yeah it definitely comes in handy, after doing these two cooks I will not be getting the handhelds. This method works really well, also saw a handful light under the metal grate with it as well so I might just do that and see. Get the weed!:thumb:

BigEd92, for some reason the message system wont let me send a message here at work at this moment. Just wanted to let you know I am trying to get one back to you on ordering the 28. Glad you decided on it after seeing what I did.

BigEd92, for some reason the message system wont let me send a message here at work at this moment. Just wanted to let you know I am trying to get one back to you on ordering the 28. Glad you decided on it after seeing what I did.

Whats the advantage of just lighting the charcoal in a chimney?

In your video, what rack was your pit probe on and what was your target temp on the Cyber Q?

I've always used Stubbs briquettes in my Superiors with great success. Never tried lump.

If the charcoal chute is empty, you can dump in lit charcoal and then add unlit on top, but it the chute has charcoal in it you have to light it from the bottom or empty the chute.

Its easier for me to light the charcoal in the weber chimney with my larger weed burner than it is when the charcoal is just dumped down the chute and having to light it then.

In your video, what rack was your pit probe on and what was your target temp on the Cyber Q?

I've always used Stubbs briquettes in my Superiors with great success. Never tried lump.

I put the pit probe in the middle of the 4 racks from the top which is the last 3.5" rack, right above the top 5" rack. Its perfect because the bottom rack is about 7 degrees hotter than the very top from what I have seen so I get a good middle ground. The royal oak lump did a great job, ive never been a big stubbs guy but I have so much blue from the holidays sales I have been using that more than the lump...even though I have equal amounts of the 17lb royal oak bags :becky:

Sorry if this was asked but have you found that you are using more charcoal? where do you put the wood chunks?

Sorry if this was asked but have you found that you are using more charcoal? where do you put the wood chunks?

Using more charcoal? Compared to what? What I expected the assassin would burn or to another cooker? The assassin is suppose to use a lb of charcoal per hour at 225-250. I cook at 275 for all my meats now, use to cook brisket higher but cant do a 350 cook with my others. So at 275, a full 20lb bag kept burning for around 16-17hrs on mine even though I cooked meat on it for around 10 hours, I wanted to see how long a full bag would really last if I needed to do it. I fully expect a 20lb bag if you cook at 225 would last for 20hrs, seems legit.

Check out the video's, pretty useful on showing the firebox. The wood chucks are put in the metal pan inside the firebox at the bottom of the charcoal chute. Im telling ya the video's will show it all, to help clarify all these questions.

Last edited:
dobdabomb, have you tried using the water pan yet? I haven't used it, as I haven't found it necessary, but might give it a shot this weekend to see how it does. Just wondering how much more charcoal she'll burn with the water pan going.

dobdabomb, have you tried using the water pan yet? I haven't used it, as I haven't found it necessary, but might give it a shot this weekend to see how it does. Just wondering how much more charcoal she'll burn with the water pan going.

I havent, I might do it as well this time. I am doing a large maxed out cook I hope for Sunday for Labor day catering. If I do I wont be using a lot, maybe a half inch or inch full but no with the cooks I have done so far, moisture seems to be ok. I spritz the ribs and butts every hour, so that helps but inbetween it looks good, ribs were definitely moist as well as butts.

Sorry about that, compared to a WSM 18.5. Looks like the assassin is more efficient. I did see the videos and see where the woods goes, very interesting. Thanks for the response.

Using more charcoal? Compared to what? What I expected the assassin would burn or to another cooker? The assassin is suppose to use a lb of charcoal per hour at 225-250. I cook at 275 for all my meats now, use to cook brisket higher but cant do a 350 cook with my others. So at 275, a full 20lb bag kept burning for around 16-17hrs on mine even though I cooked meat on it for around 10 hours, I wanted to see how long a full bag would really last if I needed to do it. I fully expect a 20lb bag if you cook at 225 would last for 20hrs, seems legit.

Check out the video's, pretty useful on showing the firebox. The wood chucks are put in the metal pan inside the firebox at the bottom of the charcoal chute. Im telling ya the video's will show it all, to help clarify all these questions.

Sorry about that, compared to a WSM 18.5. Looks like the assassin is more efficient. I did see the videos and see where the woods goes, very interesting. Thanks for the response.

For the amount of food thrown on there at a total sq in capacity in excess of 3700 sq inches of space, that is pretty awesome if you ask me. No problem, glad I could help.

Back