Rate my box - updated with ribs

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I now have even more respect for you guys than I had before :clap2: This was my first box ever and I learned a lot!!!

After making the ribs, cutting them and boxing them - I found that the boxing part might be the hardest part of the entire process. I wanted to move quickly so the ribs would still be warm, when I served them to my parents 1 mile away, but I also wanted to make a strong presentation.

The box was far from perfect in appearance. I need to work on my cuts so they are straighter. I also need to lower the lettuce (as previously described) so the box closes easily without the ribs hitting the roof (it did close but touched the roof). I also forgot to clean the small splash of sauce from the back of the box. :mad:

What do you guys think though? How would this score on appearance alone? 6 maybe 7?

photofeb1260359pm.jpg

photofeb1260404pm.jpg

[img=http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5092/photofeb1260404pm.jpg]

That's not a bad first effort! I'd give it a 7 or 8.

I agree on the cuts. Straighter and cleaner. Also, try to keep the ribs in the same order that they were in the rack if possible. It's not a big deal, but it does make the box look better. The four ribs at the back, for example, look like they are either out of order or from different racks and they are up and down in the box, breaking the clean lines. It's the little thing like that that can separate you from the other teams.

^^^^What Ron said, great effort. Those look way better than some of the boxes I had in my first year. I try to get more than 6 bones in the box when I can. Usually I will cook 3-4 racks, take the best 4 middle bones from each rack and stack them in front of each other. Sorry I dont have any pics, but in yours, keep the back row of 4 and about 1/2 way down the bone of the back row, stack another 4 on top. It makes for a nice presentation IMHO and fills that box with meat.

Good Luck!!

Thanks Ron. That is one of the things I learned this weekend. Try to get the same ribs from in order from each rack. These were definitely out of order and it shows. I appreciate the feedback.

when presenting for real, make sure there are no sauce smudges on the box, wipe clean

They sure look good!

You should even out the parsley, right side looks more full than left. I'd go with the amount on the left for the whole box.
Cut the bones straight and hopefully from the same rack, and you'll be in real good shape!

I saw it and wanted one. Solid 8 for me. Just the minor details keeping you from a nine. I try to give my first impression because judges will probably look at your box for maybe 10 seconds before scoring it.

Silly question for you guys but we don't have to be concerned with the parsley sticking to the ribs when they are removed from the box, do we? I can't imagine that we do but I don't know for sure. When I took ribs from the box to eat them, I got a lot of parsley stuck to the bottom of the ribs and it was kind of annoying. I don't want to 'annoy' judges...

i had been considering a lettuce bed for that exact reason, but had been strongly persuaded to not.

Silly question for you guys but we don't have to be concerned with the parsley sticking to the ribs when they are removed from the box, do we? I can't imagine that we do but I don't know for sure. When I took ribs from the box to eat them, I got a lot of parsley stuck to the bottom of the ribs and it was kind of annoying. I don't want to 'annoy' judges...

That is a really good question. I mostly do Texas cooks, but have done one KCBS. Although it was a blast, I wondered this same thing. :confused:

As a CBJ, that parsley sticks to a product doesn't matter. Chicken and Ribs are the most usual for that. I select my piece, move it to my judging sheet, then when time to taste that item the parsley is picked off and set aside. Sticking parsley is a non-issue.

As a CBJ, that parsley sticks to a product doesn't matter. Chicken and Ribs are the most usual for that. I select my piece, move it to my judging sheet, then when time to taste that item the parsley is picked off and set aside. Sticking parsley is a non-issue.

It should be, but it isn't. I've judged at comps where other judges have said something to the effect that " I'm going to taste it as presented, so if there's parsley stuck to it I'll eat it instead of knocking it off" In my opinion, table captain should have instructed them not to do that, but I don't know that the rules have that spelled out.

i agree, it's a non-issue.

i don't know... as long as there are judges tasting as presented, it could be QUITE an issue.

i think in that instance, judges are puckered to tight. the organizer should make a note and not invite that/those particular judges back.

as a judge, i'd make it a point to tell the organizer about it.

next thing ya know, judges will want waiter service.

Back