May 12, 2010 KCBS Bod agenda posted

I agree, 8 months is to long! I hope the podcast is better than last month, It made me embarrassed to admit I belonged to the KCBS. With all of the bickering and all. Now I know why some members of the Board did not want the podcast.

Why? Because they don't want the general membership to know that, unlike all of us who help each other at contests when needed, even though we're competing against each other, they, as the leaders of the very same organization, built on fun and friendship, can't get along with each other? :confused:

It seems as if there is no opportunity to fill the vacant seat for 8 months that it leaves the door wide open to a potential BoD of like minded individuals voting block steering the KCBS with out any opposition.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Eric

OK, since no one is saying anything, and it will get out eventually.

It is "my understanding" that;

Linda Mullane was "asked" to resign. (<-- read that however u want, where I come from, that usually means forced out.)

and also, Linda is no longer a rep or CBJ Instructor.

Neither is Jerry Mullane.

We have just lost a board member WE voted in, and here in the Northeast, we have also lost our NE representation, AND also, what I consider 2 of KCBS's best reps.

This action leaves us with 5, maybe 6, local reps to cover not just the NE, but the entire eastern region. I have not heard of any contingencies.

:mad2:

Thank you! Please sir, may I have another.

That is pretty similar to the way I understand it as well, Phil. I'd be interested in hearing the "why" part of all that though.

OK, since no one is saying anything, and it will get out eventually.

It is MY understanding that;

Linda Mullane was "asked" to resign. (<-- read that however u want, where I come from, that usually means forced out.)

Since you're dishing, please give us it all.

If Mullane was asked to step down, as you say, who did the asking?

It appears an unfortunate personal situation was used to weaken a perceived voting block on the board.

Chicken chit in my book.

I now FULLY understand why the real person making the motion wanted it this way. It's clearly sunken in tonight...
Based on voting records "that person" just lost a key voter and that leaves it basically 5-4 with 1 swing vote and of couse the president as a tie breaker.

Let's look at reasons why a person would be asked to resign. In this case the person was a REP, CBJ instructor and BOD member. If the problem was an issue of conduct as a BOD member then only the BOD could ask for a resignation and my understanding is that is not what happened as they would have needed an executive session vote followed by a request in writing. And if I understand it correctly the BOD can not vote another BOD member out.

However if it's a problem with the other 2 roles then it's up to the office to review that and handle complaints. Then if there's a major problem the individual could be stripped of credentials for either or both role. The person could fight this action if they chose. And there could have been pressure to resign from the BOD based on the problems and actions taken against the individual. This way it all remains private unless the individual chooses to make details public and even then it's just she said/she said.

Bottom line is the individual chose to resign and they could have refused to submit a letter of resignation. Couldn't do anything about the other roles as that's not a BOD issue or election issue. The BOD lost a key member and a region lost representation. And that's a region that has experienced conflict with the KCBS in the past and probably will be again.

VERY unfortunate. I know nothing about what happened, but I have always appreciated the work Linda and Jerry have done as reps and CBJ instructors.

This leaves a big hole in the Northeast.

VERY unfortunate. I know nothing about what happened, but I have always appreciated the work Linda and Jerry have done as reps and CBJ instructors.

Boy is that an understatement!:eusa_clap:confused::doh:

you aint sh*ttin'... :confused:

...even though Linda and I have had differences in the past, I am deeply saddened, and more than a little confused by all this... how does someone who was recently nominated for PRESIDENT suddenly 'walk away'?

Although, I DO get it... repeatedly pissin' into the wind leaves a bad taste and a desire to get out of the way...

THANK YOU LINDA, and Jerry, for all you've accomplished, and also for all you tried to do... best of luck at the restaurant!

For the record, it seems I have inadvertently stirred up some ch*t and I don't much care for all the misunderstanding that is going on. As a board member, I have no knowledge of any other board member being asked to resign. This is not true, this did not happen, put it away.

It was not my intention though it was the end result that any other board member be slammed by anyone else for actions taken at the February meeting. There are worse things (and far more important matters) for the board to deal with than wrestling with how or if to fill an empty seat. 8 months is a long time, but it's not forever.

It was a honor to serve on the board with Linda and I will miss her. I wish nothing but success to her and her family in every endeavor. Times are hard, folks, and doing what we do at any level, whether judge, rep or cook, is expensive in time and money.

I have nothing but respect and affection for EVERYONE who serves on the board of KCBS. It's a thankless job. EVERY ONE of us serves out of love of barbeque and thank goodness, we are not all alike! Each of us brings different strengths to the board table and it makes KCBS a stronger organization for it.

I hate to fight this battle again...As the lone newbie on the board, I was NOT allowed to make or second motions in February. The minutes were rewritten to reflect that Merl made the motion and Don seconded. It is my personal opinion that leaving a seat vacant for this long a period (8 months) may be a mistake. This topic was not addressed at all in this evenings board meeting. Listen to the podcast!

This is false and those who posted it know it. I will not debate it here, but take this matter to the Board. You know that my motion was as follows, which I still believe would have been the best policy: (from the agenda for February 5th.)

Policy for the replace of Members of the Board. by Merl Whitebook

In the event during the term of any board member, their position becomes open, then we should have a policy in place. The following policy is recommended.

If a member of the board ceases to serve in the capacity as a member of the Board, during an unexpired term, then the board shall fill the vacancy in the following manner:

1. KCBS shall announce the vacancy and accept nominations to fill the position.
2. Nominations shall close 10 days prior to the next Board meeting.
3. Candidates will have 5 days to complete the election questionnaire and submit to the Board along with any other materials which they desire to submit to the Board.
4. Candidates will be allowed up to 5 minutes to present themselves in person or by phone at the next Board Meeting.
5. Board members may ask questions to the candidates.
6 Unless all members of the board are attending in person, the vote shall be by roll call oral vote.
7. In the event of a tie, the president shall cast the deciding vote.

Now others who posted here can say what they want. But the truth is out there. I was the only member of the Board who voted against the motion that was passed. I do not think it was the best policy. If my policy had not been objected to by a member of the board then Jeff very likely would be on the Board next month.

Since there was only one no vote, I guess you will have ask the other members of the Board how they voted.

Folks, I am not going to be thrown under the bus for the fun of a few members of the forum who have posted. Look at the facts and then make an informed decision.

Thank you for reading this.
Merl

Moderator: I understand if this is out of line and you have to remove it. But I should not have to have lies said about me any more. I am trying to state the facts which are in the record only.

Last edited:
I for one will certainly be reviewing the recordings of the BoD meetings. It is only through that sort of transparency that we the members can determine for ourselves what the Truth is in these type of conflicts.

Thank you to everyone who helped to add this "check & balance" to the KCBS governance.

I hate to fight this battle again...As the lone newbie on the board, I was NOT allowed to make or second motions in February. The minutes were rewritten to reflect that Merl made the motion and Don seconded. It is my personal opinion that leaving a seat vacant for this long a period (8 months) may be a mistake. This topic was not addressed at all in this evenings board meeting. Listen to the podcast!

Sorry, Candy. I looked through the minutes posted on the KCBS Website and this is what I found. Since there was speculation about the 5th vote getter replacing the resigning BOD member, I posted it. I pulled it from www.kcbs.us. If it is wrong... I don't know.

This is false and those who posted it know it. I will not debate it here, but take this matter to the Board. You know that my motion was as follows, which I still believe would have been the best policy: (from the agenda for February 5th.)

<edited> Folks, I am not going to be thrown under the bus for the fun of a few members of the forum who have posted. Look at the facts and then make an informed decision.

Thank you for reading this.
Merl

Moderator: I understand if this is out of line and you have to remove it. But I should not have to have lies said about me any more. I am trying to state the facts which are in the record only.

Merl, nobody likes being called a liar. Since you quoted me above your post, the logical assumption is that you are calling me a liar. I am not an attorney, I do not threaten anyone with libel, slander or any other litigiousness. I do have the right to stand up for myself and state that I AM NOT A LIAR! Thank goodness we do have podcasts so that our members can see how board meetings flow, if they have the patience to listen it through. You can spin this and manipulate this however you want to, but the truth will always prevail. The podcast is a live recording.

Merl, I like you and respect you and I'm not lying about that either.

Back