1st cook on UDS...beercan chicken question

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys...decided not to screw up an expensive slab of meat for my first run on the UDS so I decided to do two beercan chickens. My question is, at what temp should I be cooking these and for how long?

I promise Ill post pr0n!

I do mine @300*-325* and I start checking internal temp around 2.5 hours.

Hope you have lid clearance. If i were me I'd do a pork butt or picnic roast...a lot more forgiving, and you'd be working at 225-250. Slow and low is what uds does best.

I get great results at around 250 for 3-3 1/2 hrs - internal around 160. Chestnut brown outside very moist inside...good luck!

Im just about to load it up. UDS has been chugging right along since I lit her up about 30 minutes ago. Temp at about 250 and steady. I decided to butterfly the chicken since Im not sure ill have room on it for the beercan chicken. Got two of them and about to slap some rub on them. Pr0n below.

Last edited:
Also had a bag of White Oak that I took about 3 small chunks and put them on the fire before I added the meat. Put two in with the unlit charcoal and then put one on top of the lit charcoal once I emptied te chimney into the drum...hope the taste is good.

Back