Son of Hibachi

W00dButcher

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Anyone have one of these? They look like they could be a little fun to use and an alternative to my (tired) gas grill.

i made a SS raised deck deal to put ontop of my NG grill or propane firepit table. works good.

Anyone have one of these? They look like they could be a little fun to use and an alternative to my (tired) gas grill.

I've got a Son of Hibachi with the carrying bag. It is a pretty nice setup for portable grilling. It heats the coals quickly and also snuffs them out pretty quick. It gets HOT in the bag but makes it about as quickly transportable as possible. Nicely built little unit for basic grilling.

i've been eyeing one for many many years. folks who have them seem to like them.
i just can't find a cheap one. lost a bid on ebay by a few cents a year or so ago.

Lodge Sportsman here.
I have one too. I have two gripes about it. First, it's unbalanced so when I pick it up by the bail, it tips forward and the stoking door flops open. Second, the beautiful seasoning that it is covered with burns off from the heat of the charcoal. The grate is easy enough to season, but the rest, not so much.

On the plus side, I like the cast iron grate. I even use it on my Weber kettles, laying it on the wire grate to provide a better grilling surface. In addition to the thermal mass of the cast iron, the bars are close enough to help keep smaller things like vegetable slices from falling through.

I also like the heat controls. Opening or closing the draft doors really does make a difference in temperature. Also it is neat how you can turn the grate over to move it closer to the coals.

I just ran across a review of the Sportsman Grill yesterday and the owner found the same issue with the seasoning coming off. He got some high temperature paint and painted the exterior surfaces of the grill. :doh: Wish I'd have thought of that. I see that Rustoleum has a paint rated for 2000° F and is flat black. I'm going to get a can of that, burn the rest of the seasoning off and try painting mine. I'm also going to look for something to counterweight the grill so it doesn't tip when lifted by the bail. :thumb:

I have a buddy who what just telling me about this the other day. He says he had one and loved the thing, but it was a long time ago and he doesn't know where it is now. Not that that helps you at all, but he loved his for what it's worth.

i've been eyeing one for many many years. folks who have them seem to like them.
i just can't find a cheap one. lost a bid on ebay by a few cents a year or so ago.

1-Sale-a-Day had the Lodge Sportsman on sale a couple of days ago for $49 with free shipping.
It's a very nice hibachi, I've had mine for a few years now and use it regularly.

Back