Making Sausage?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
I went to pick up 6 pork butts the other day and it was $1.68 lb, the case price was $1.38 lb. So I bought a case thinking this is probably what people use to make sausage so I may give that a whirl.

Come to find it I was correct and pork shoulder is good to use for sausage.

My question is, can you make hot italian sausage better than store bought?

I have an OLM grinder that has a sausage access.

I know some on here have some input on this.

Hell yes you can make better hot Italian than store bought. And sweet Italian, breakfast, kielbasa, jaegerwurst, hot links, brats, etc. etc. etc.....

Get to it man!

yes please do i'm hungry.

I agree, make it at home, you got enough pork butts for sure.

The key, is to weight and get the proportion of fat to lean right, and to keep everything cold. Go for it

Yes you can make better stuff than commercially made sausage, unless you have a small mom and pop butcher shop nearby.
I used only butts to make my sausage. I dont trim anything or add any anything to the meat. I have read in few places that the fat to meat ratio is correct on butts and it works for me.

I haven't made a lot of sausage but when I made some brats I used straight up pork butt with no added fat. I didn't feel it was lacking anything. They were the best sausages I've ever et. :)

I am chinese in China
trust me!
What ever the sausage is, do not use grinder.
slice meat by your knife, 5 to 10 mm in cross section, any length.
frozen pork in half way, cut by chinese kitchen knife

I often make my own sausage, and it's good. But to be honest, it's a lot of farking work, so unless I'm just experimenting, I go to the local meat place to get it instead.

I often make my own sausage, and it's good. But to be honest, it's a lot of farking work, so unless I'm just experimenting, I go to the local meat place to get it instead.

Are you sure you should be giving advise at this stage? (jk) Of course it is a lot of work that is why we get paid to do it.

To OP, you do have to be careful when you use a grinder to make sausage. It is tough keeping a continuous stream of meat going through the grinder to get an even sausage. If you can find an inexpensive stuffer, that would help a lot.

About the fat. Depends where you are. My Amish friend learned to make sausage in Penn. He says down here folks want a fatter sausage. So he buys pork bellies to add the fat. It must be good because he ordered a new $6000.00 grinder.

I went to pick up 6 pork butts the other day and it was $1.68 lb, the case price was $1.38 lb. So I bought a case thinking this is probably what people use to make sausage so I may give that a whirl.

Come to find it I was correct and pork shoulder is good to use for sausage.

My question is, can you make hot italian sausage better than store bought?

I have an OLM grinder that has a sausage access.

I know some on here have some input on this.

Butts are perfect for making sausage. I remove any silver skin, real heavy fat and any traces of the gland (which is a rare find). Home made sausage is almost always has better flavor than store bought and you can make is slightly lower in fat as well. Using a grinder as a stuffer will have some drawbacks, but the good thing about Italian is it's good to have some packaged in bulk and use on pizza, in stews, spaghetti, lasagna or just a sausage burger with grilled onions and cheese. Here is the recipe I use. After mixing any sausage, test fry a small patty to see if you need to adjust seasonings.

Hot Italian (10 lb. recipe)

10 lb. pork butts (trim some of the fat)
1T cracked black pepper
3T kosher salt
5 t fennel seed
2 1/2 T crushed red peppers
½ C minced garlic
1 ¼ t thymc
1 ½ t crushed bay leaf
1 ½ t nutmeg
1 ½ t coriander
6 t sweet paprika
1 ½ C ice cold water

Sprinkle you cubed and chilled meat with some of the seasoning, coarse grind the pork, mix remaining ingredients and the ice water, chill for several hours or overnight, then stuff or wrap in bulk.

Are you sure you should be giving advise at this stage? (jk) Of course it is a lot of work that is why we get paid to do it.

Hah! Touche.

I've made a lot of sausage over the years, and don't mind making smaller batches at home a few times a year. But in high volume, it's a royal pain in the butt.

For the restaurant, I went through about 8 different vendors trying to find a good sausage to smoke. Nothing quite fit the bill, and I was still on the fence about making it in house given the labor involved and my extremely thin staff. But I pulled a few strings and got a fairly local place to custom make sausage for me. Not the cheapest way to go, but it's really good and people love it.

Back