• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Do you coat your que with olive oil before queing?

EVOO on EVERYTHING.
But I'm Italian, so, take that for what its worth.

olive or canola oil when grilling. Mustard when smoking. All things "sometimes".

I use nothing I have never ad a bark issue

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

The components of evoo that give it it's special flavor are volatile and ruined by cooking. Evoo is correctly used to dress foods not cook them. Similarly the coarse quality of regular cooking onions is destroyed by heat making them the logical and less expensive choice for cooking while leaving sweet onions for eating raw.

I use evoo on chicken and turkey, sometimes I use mustard on butts and ribs, sometimes i don't

When you are using a pan to cook do you usual oil the pan or oil the product? I oil the product it usual give crispier skin.
John

I use zesty Italian dressing. It's less expensive and works great. Adds a bit of flavor on smaller pieces like chicken quarters.

It's all fair. Do what you like and switch it up once in a while for fun

I use butter on my chicken and turkey and a wet mustard rub on my butts.

EVOO on EVERYTHING.
But I'm Italian, so, take that for what its worth.

I'm Italian, and I keep multiple olive oils in my pantry. EVOO is not the right OO for every application.

As for making a rub or seasoning stick to a piece of meat or some veggies, I use a light OO, or a canola. On veggies, I use a spray oil -- usually canola.

I have about ten oils in my pantry. Every one has its one purpose.

Going back to the OP. I generally don't use any oil, or mustard, or anything else to make my rub stick. When I have experimented with oils and dressings, I haven't found a major difference in the final product. But, it certainly didn't hurt anything.

On a short cook, like a steak done in ten minutes, spices and oils make a lot more of a difference than they do on a long, slow cook, IMO.

Low and slow, again IMO, is more forgiving than a quick grill.

CD

There is no corrolation between commercial supermarket EVOO and fresh local produce EVOO.
The second one is fine for cooking with, the intense antioxident factor keeps it stable at temps and the flavour is fantastic.
Chefs are people too, they learn from being told and propogate the myths all over the media.

I've recently started using peanut oil for high temp cooks like searing ahi. Want to try grapeseed oil but just haven't yet. On pork I tend to go yellow mustard if I'm doing a low and slow cook when using rub for a thick bark, like ribs or shoulder. On beef I tend to let the salt draw up moisture but I also generally cook cuts that don't need a lot of stick'um for simple seasoning (salt, pepper, maybe garlic / fennel).

Back