Nylon Lock Nuts in a smoker/grill?

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I rigged up a middle grate for my WSM by using a 5 inch bolt, some washers and some nuts to keep things in place. I used some of those nylon lock nuts from Lowes to keep the washers in place so things wouldn't slip around.

Last night in bed I thought, "oh no will the nylon melt?"

Anyone used a lock nut like this in their high temp applications? I'm guessing I have to take it apart and stick to normal bolts. Wouldn't want melted nylon to sneak out on to a brisket flat or something!?

Any thoughts?

John

Attachments

• grate1.jpg
    grate1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 172
Go back and get all metal lock nuts or just use lock washers. Cheaper.They will melt and create a funky smell and taste. Steve.

No, they're not a specialty item. They should be right there with all of the other nuts and bolts, about eye level or a little higher. They should sell the small packages of them and also boxes.

Here we go!

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, the guy in Home Depot said "I've never heard of a lock nut without nylon." So I just went with the lock washers.

One lock washer in there and things are tight. Not going anywhere.

Cool! Imagine how many smoked ABTs I'll be able to get on this baby now!!! lol

John

Attachments

• grate1.jpg
    grate1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 132
note: my "new" grate is from my little smokey joe. The bottom flat washer is just used to sit the new grate on top of the normal smoker grate. This way I'll be able to lift the whole grate up - so it's not attached.

all metal lock nuts seem to have disappeared from the stores. i had to order mine from ebay. but there is a trick with regular nuts. use two and jam them together. also you can make a more permanent "lock" by damaging the bolt threads and then jamming the nut on. more damage=more tightness.

I don't bother with anything that locks. After your first cook I don't think that anything will be turning on it's own.

Is this the all metal lock nut?

k-nut.gif

all metal lock nuts seem to have disappeared from the stores. i had to order mine from ebay. but there is a trick with regular nuts. use two and jam them together. also you can make a more permanent "lock" by damaging the bolt threads and then jamming the nut on. more damage=more tightness.

You should be able to find all metal lock nuts(aka stover nuts or grade C nuts) at any fastener supplier such as Fastenall or Graingers

Crushed nuts work well too. To improvise, I just lay the nut on the side an give it a whack with the hammer. I believe the proper name for them are deformed thread lock nuts.

Oh, I think this is the same as the two previous post, LOL. Maybe I should have read the whole thread!

Jeff

All metal lock nuts, as said are available through the right suppliers. They are pressed, then heat treated and they won't damage threads as someone banging with a hammer. Good luck. Steve.

I believe they keep the all metal lock nuts in the drawers at HD and Lowe's. You just have to know what you're looking for. It's been a while since I've bought any, but that's where I found them last time I needed them.

i have looked and looked and looked. even asked. nothing at lowes or hd. i even went to a bolt supplier and he said he would have to order it. i still like damaging the threads, makes it easy. i guess all this also depends on where you live.

For my application (just keeping a wide flat washer and bolts from moving) the lock washer worked great. These are easy to find.

Back