• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Holy Pork! Pig Shots on the Egg

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I recently ran across an appetizer called "Pig Shots" on another site and decided to give them a try.

When Mrs. South bit into one, there was a five second pause followed by "OH MY GOD !!!" Yep, they're pretty good. According to her, they're my go-to appetizer now, required at all BBQ-like gatherings.

I started with a plain old store bought Polish Keilbasa, cut into discs about 1/2 inch tall with the casings removed (they make them too chewy, apparently).

Then I took 1/2 strip of bacon and wrapped it around each disc (creating a shot glass of sorts) and secured with a single toothpick run through.

pig-shots-011512-wrapped-and-pinned.JPG

I filled the shot glasses half way up with some plain (microwave softened) Philly Cream Cheese.

pig-shots-011512-cream-cheese.JPG

I filled them the rest of the way (even overflowed a bit) with dark brown sugar.

pig-shots-011512-brown-sugar.JPG

I sprinkled half of them with my beloved Yardbird for some comparisons later.

pig-shots-011512-leaded-and-unleaded.JPG

On to the LBGE they went (sweet blue / light hickory). 225° for 2 hours. They ended up at about 180° internal.

pig-shots-011512-starting-on-egg.JPG

Ready to pull after two hours...

pig-shots-011512-ready-to-pull-1.JPG

pig-shots-011512-ready-to-pull-2.JPG

Mrs. South plated them up and tried one. OMG moment referenced above followed 5 seconds later.

pig-shots-011512-on-platter-2.JPG

pig-shots-011512-on-platter-closeup.JPG

She preferred the ones w/o the rub. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Interesting. I'll absolutely be doing these again.

Highly recommended, Brethren!

Outstanding idea!

They would be too sweet for my bride, thinking a tad bit of cheddar cheese instead of brown sugar.

Oh man, these look fantastic. It's on the go to list now. Great work!

I've been brainstorming other versions all night. One was sticking a shroom in the cream cheese so the thing looks like an umbrella. "Pigbrellas"?

I gotta try this!! Thanks! It looks like you did a great job. Some hot peppers on top of the cream cheese might help here too. Hmmmm!!!

I'd love to take credit, but as mentioned, I stole, er... borrowed the idea. :icon_blush:

Hmmm.... Two types of meat, smoked, and somewhat spherical in appearance. I wonder if these would qualify as.... MEATBALLS ???

I think I remember somewhere in the foggy recesses of my mind that a person had posted something similar to these, and called them "heart attacks". I've been wanting to try them ever since, and since seeing these that you made. I know I gotta try them soon!

This might go into the smoke tomorrow. I got kielbasa, bacon rub/sugar covered. I just need to get the cream cheese:-D

Holy mother of goodness batman. Last year for fishing opener I made the boys a bacon explosion. This year I was thinking moinks but now that I see these I think I have a new plan.

Thanks for sharing.

Back