Rib Question

Urbs

Reaction score
I'm gonna cook up some ribs to take back home for our Christmas party. I normally cook baby backs. Usually do 3-1-1 method. Ok I've seen somewhere that cooks use parka with their sauce or some sort of squeeze butter. Can someone explain this method to me please sounds like something I would like to do. I'll prob. cook three racks with a little kick and three sweet. Thanks
Urbs

It's not really that complicated. They just squeeze some of that margarine in foil portion of the cook, the same way you may add juice, honey, sugar etc..... you can try some butter instead too. You can also add it at the later part of the cook before you sauce or include some in your heated sauce.

I don't think it's necessary for home cooking, but the judges seem to love it.

I'll just do this to a few ribs. Just wanted to see what this did to the flavor.

I'll just do this to a few ribs. Just wanted to see what this did to the flavor.

The butter will do nothing for the taste.
It's a combo of butter, brn sugar, honey and other ingredients that are used together for a certain flavor profile. :biggrin:

Agreed! That sounds just vile. If you are cooking with the right rub or method, I don't see the need for butter.

Don't knock it 'til you try it. Ever since I tried this I do it all the time...

DSC01501.jpg

After 3 hours I wrap with butter & brown sugar. I will also try adding honey. I then finish them (spares) wrapped. I guess that's a 3-3 method. I will try 3-2-1 the next time I do spares.

DSC01519.jpg

A finished slab.

DSC01521.jpg

The heat and taste of the rub come through the sweetness of the butter & brown sugar beautifully. Never a need for sauce, that's all natural juices on the plate.

Don't knock it 'til you try it. Ever since I tried this I do it all the time...

DSC01501.jpg

After 3 hours I wrap with butter & brown sugar. I will also try adding honey. I then finish them (spares) wrapped. I guess that's a 3-3 method. I will try 3-2-1 the next time I do spares.

DSC01519.jpg

A finished slab.

DSC01521.jpg

The heat and taste of the rub come through the sweetness of the butter & brown sugar beautifully. Never a need for sauce, that's all natural juices on the plate.

Looks good bro! :-D

Those spares look tasty!! Did you put the butter and brown sugar on both sides of ribs before wrapping?

Interesting, I don't get ribs very often due to the cost of them, may try it on one rack next time.

Those spares look tasty!! Did you put the butter and brown sugar on both sides of ribs before wrapping?

They were very tasty. No, I only put it on the top. Also, only use HD foil.
I use 1 sheet for the bottom, and then cover the ribs with a 2nd sheet. Fold both sheets upward to seal. This will prevent the buttery, juicy goodness from leaking out. Handle carefully, placing the package gently in your cooker.
Sliding them around will tear HD foil.

Thanks Bogus Chezz Hawg. I'll do 3 rack this way and 3 racks my normal way.

I like the dehydrated honey but I have a hard time finding it

Back