• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A Little Brisket Experiment.

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
So I have finally gotten around to experimenting between Angus brisket vs BJ's Megamart brisket vs Wally World brisket. Here's what I did:

- 12lb brisket from Wally World, flat and point. $2.20/lb
- 8 lb Angus brisket from local farmer's market, flat and point, but cut in an odd manner. $7.99/lb.
- 5.75 lb brisket from BJ's, flat only. $1.75/lb.
- No rub or sauce was added so that all analysis would be based on the brisket, not the "Extras".
- Cooked all to a max internal temp of 205 and checked firmness after they reached 190.
- Got pit up to 225 and held steady there through the entire cook except when reloading charcoal or removing meat.
- All 3 briskets were graded "Choice".
- Cooked on a small Spicewine and used approximately 22 to 24 lb of charcoal.
- Started the cook at 11:40pm on Fri. Took the final brisket out of the smoker at 3:00pm on Sat.

Results: Based on how easy the brisket was to cut and chewability, I found that the Angus was more tender than the other two. But not by a whole lot. Definately not enough to justify the difference I paid. The other two briskets were equal in tenderness to each other. All three were tender enough that I would not have felt bad turning them in at a competition. Flavorwise, I couldn't tell any difference between the three. All were equally yummy.

I'll post some pictures later. The burnt ends aren't quite finished yet.

12lb, Angus, 5lb
IMG_0520.jpg

Sliced up flats.
IMG_0524.jpg

Burnt ends.
IMG_0526.jpg

So you cooked em with no rub or slather at all? Not even salt and pepper?

Interesting comparison - thanks for sharing.
I have a brisket we got a Wally World that I will be cooking in the next week or so - really interested in how it turns out.

I must be deprived of good meat.....Wally World briskets are all I have bought and they seem pretty good to me....maybe if I shell out a bunch more money it will be better?
Right now they are about $1.89 a pound for a full packer at around 12 pounds or so

Thanks for the info, that sure saved me the time and money of having to do it myself. Anyone know if Wally World and Sams use the same meat?

Thanks for the info, that sure saved me the time and money of having to do it myself. Anyone know if Wally World and Sams use the same meat?

Don't think so, at least not here. Sam's usually has Prime or Choice only, and Wally World does not.

I bought a whole Rib Eye yesterday at Sam's and it was Angus Choice. When you buy the whole thing, its usually a good bit cheaper than individual steaks. Just over $5 a pound for this one. I cut 14 steaks out of it, at a little less than $5 per steak.

so this is the experiment you was doin the othernight, good work nice and thorough, thank fer the info ya dirty ole man.

So you cooked em with no rub or slather at all? Not even salt and pepper?

Correct. They were completely naked. One thing I wanted to test was the natural flavor of the meat, not any enhancements with spices or sauce.

But, now that the experiment is done, I do slather on some sauce when I'm eating the results.

Wow, nice to have the time and $$ to do an experiment like that one, I'm very jelaous!!!
Nice info.

Back