Rookie Smoker Recipe? I need a home run here

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well I have about a smoke and 1/2 under my belt here. First was my UDS type drum smokers seasoning smoke which we threw some crappy store bought burgers on after a few hours of run time and pulled them off based on IT. Considering the quality of the burgers it actually was not bad. My youngest son declared them the best burgers he'd ever had but we question his judgement at the best of times. But regardless it was a small victory.

So.....then I decided for cook # 2 that I would go for the grand slam and bring the whole family to tears of joy with the quality of the BBQ. Dug some Beef Ribs out of the freezer and on they went. Well there was tears alright. but not in a good way. Not Good. Lots went wrong.

You see my family other than myself and maybe one of my daughters are food cowards. They don't trust much that is different or new to them and smoking is very new to us. So as I see it I probably have one more chance here before the smoking food door is closed forever for some of them.

I need something that I can for sure pull off successfully and re open that door in their heads. What should my next attempt be. What cut of meat, what recipe, any advice appreciated greatly.

Thanks

I would say Boston Butt(pulled pork), is about as no fail as you can get, in the bbq world.

Yup, I totally agree on smoking a butt. Hard to mess up and not nearly as out of the norm as beef ribs. Just be sure that you have a nice thin blue smoke before putting it on and let it ride until an internal temp of 195-203

I'd go with something they already like. Meatloaf, chicken, things like that. The UDS is basically an outdoor oven with the lid on, maybe that will help.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
#1 good bbq is a skill and might take time
#2 what was your failed problems? We might be able to aid a little better if you give details.
#3 beef ribs need to be cooked for quite a while to be awesome
#4 SEE #1

I think that any of the above ideas, including your favorite meatloaf recipe cooked at 300* to the internal temp of 160, and pork butt cooked to around 200* are good plans. If you want fancy, you can follow the steps to make a fatty, stuffed with some cheese and make it simple. Smoke to internal temp of 160. oh, and good bbq might take some time. Read up around here, listen to ideas, and be patient.

A nice chicken, smoked lightly at 325-350F is an easy introduction. Will also second the meatloaf, baked at the same temp as inside, but with some smoke added.

Not sure how you can screw up some chicken. Learn to walk before you run.

Agree with all above, but would interject that chicken can get overly smoked, IMO.
I say that because I have done it. Now I know better. I kept trying till I got better.
I've been smoking for ~20 years and I'm still learning with every cook and can't begin to list everything I've learned from this forum in the last 6 months or so. :-D

don’t worry about the fails. As long as you cook, you’ll have them. The important thing is that you figure out what went wrong and go at it again. One way of “curing” the family taste issue is to involve them. Let the kids get involved in the prep, whether it be doing the rub, spice mix, etc. The more they are vested, the more likely they’ll enjoy what they helped to make.

A vote for a Boston butt here - VERY forgiving meat, can go low and slow or hot and fast. Just cook to around 200 to 205 IT and (most important) it probes tender all around with some wiggle in the bone. Wrap, rest for a bit, and pull it apart. One 10 pound butt will feed lots of hungry folks.

Pulled pork is a proven crowd pleaser.

don’t worry about the fails. As long as you cook, you’ll have them. The important thing is that you figure out what went wrong and go at it again. One way of “curing” the family taste issue is to involve them. Let the kids get involved in the prep, whether it be doing the rub, spice mix, etc. The more they are vested, the more likely they’ll enjoy what they helped to make.

Awesome post, mjp, and great advice! :thumb:

I may be in the minority here but since your cooker is a uds I probably wouldn’t do pork butt and do chicken breast with lump charcoal only. I’d ease them in with the bbq flavor and with all that pork fat you are getting a ton of grease smoke. Chicken breast and lump only will give them light bbq flavor especially for people that aren’t used to bbq

I may be in the minority here but since your cooker is a uds I probably wouldn’t do pork butt and do chicken breast with lump charcoal only. I’d ease them in with the bbq flavor and with all that pork fat you are getting a ton of grease smoke.

I don't own a UDS. No way of keeping the grease off the coals?

Well I have about a smoke and 1/2 under my belt here. First was my UDS type drum smokers seasoning smoke which we threw some crappy store bought burgers on after a few hours of run time and pulled them off based on IT. Considering the quality of the burgers it actually was not bad. My youngest son declared them the best burgers he'd ever had but we question his judgement at the best of times. But regardless it was a small victory.

So.....then I decided for cook # 2 that I would go for the grand slam and bring the whole family to tears of joy with the quality of the BBQ. Dug some Beef Ribs out of the freezer and on they went. Well there was tears alright. but not in a good way. Not Good. Lots went wrong.

You see my family other than myself and maybe one of my daughters are food cowards. They don't trust much that is different or new to them and smoking is very new to us. So as I see it I probably have one more chance here before the smoking food door is closed forever for some of them.

I need something that I can for sure pull off successfully and re open that door in their heads. What should my next attempt be. What cut of meat, what recipe, any advice appreciated greatly.

Thanks

My first recommendation would be a smoked meatloaf. It is quick and easy. I like this one.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe-1937673

Smoke at 250 to 275.

My second would be pork butt. Melissa Cookston has an excellent recipe for a rub in one of her books. This rub is very good.

https://melissacookston.com/recipe/sweet-memphis-bbq-rub/

If I had to guess what the OP's issue was with the beef ribs was that they were tough and possibly over smoked.

I do not have a drum but when I first started out I over smoked everything and had no idea how to feel when a piece of meat was done. I took meat to what is considered the correct temperature when cooking in an oven. Most of the time this caused the finished product to over smoked due to it being cooked at such a low temperature. I make the mistake of trying to cook everything at the mystical 225, Once I stopped trying to tamp down my temperatures and let the cooker run where it wanted to the finished product quality started to go up.

As for an easy item I would agree with everyone in that chicken or a pork butt would be best in this situation.

-Eric

Chicken halves seasoned with salt, pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic and paprika(no sugar. It can burn). Smoked with a small amount of fruit wood(apple or cherry) at 275-325 degrees for 1.5 - 2 hours until the joints wiggle. They’ll think your a pro.

I don't own a UDS. No way of keeping the grease off the coals?

Depends if he has a deflector. I forgot to ask. Good point though. I just know that with most people starting out the number one mistake is over smoking. Combine that with your typical drum design where grease hits the coals then a pork butt may not be the best first meat to cook for family not used to eating bbq. I still vote chicken breast with lump only until fire management of his charcoal smoker improves.

Back